Oh, hi there Health Anxiety!

To say I’m struggling is an understatement. Oh to the onlooker, no, I try to keep it together. In front of kids (although they are can be quite perceptive), I keep a brave face on. But since my son’s diagnosis, I’ve felt the slow creep back to health anxiety—endless checking, psychosomatic symptoms, flushed face, shaky limbs, dry mouth, issues on my body getting worse because of CONSTANT (and I mean true OCD-level) checking and rechecking. And rechecking. And rechecking. Wait, did I check that? Rechecking.

This isn’t my first bout of anxiety like this, so that’s actually good. Even though it always feels like the first time, the fact that it isn’t is helpful. None of this is something I haven’t dealt with before, mostly during times of massive stress. Still, it doesn’t stop my hand from flying to the lump I feel behind my neck which wasn’t an actual lump until I kept messing with it, now it’s throbbing and I’m convinced I have lymphoma and am dying. Doctors missed everything, tests wrong, I’ve got something terminal. (Yes, I’m reassurance-seeking here…feel free to tell me I don’t have it. lol)

One shining ray of hope is that in 5 days, I should have my monthly visitor (sorry, TMI) so maybe some of this will subside by then.

I just needed to vent. I know I’m just overwhelmed with this whole diabetes thing (myself and my kid) and every other mom worry I have…didn’t want to feel alone in this tonight.

2 Likes

I just wanted to say that I’m sorry to hear that you’re feeling so badly. I know what the I-have-a-child-with-T1D-and-I’m-anxious anxiety feels like. It’s a constant rumbling undercurrent in my life that will likely never go away. Know you are not alone. I hope you begin feeling less anxious soon. Hang in there!

2 Likes

Thank you. :slight_smile: I’m learning that the T1 undercurrent is here to stay…maybe that’s why my old anxiety junk is kicking up a storm, I don’t know. It’s just SO UNHELPFUL right now. lol Like I need to be worrying about other health stuff when real health stuff is happening, you know? No fun.

1 Like

Is it possible to get him a CGM? This might be a better way to monitor his levels and give you more peace of mind.

3 Likes

Oh my–I can barely imagine the torture of worry…My 12-year-old grandson’s best friend is T1 and has a CGM and pump, so as @Christopher5 suggested, if that is possible, it could ease the tension…

Also education of his friends AND their parents…One night when my daughter and her partner were hosting a sleepover—his equipment shorted out somehow—BUT they had clear instructions and set their alarm to go off every couple hours to test his blood sugar and administer insulin, if necessary…

With young parents these days, you may find allies! Seek them out—you need a village and there is no shame in that!..Blessings, sweetie…Judith in Portland…

1 Like

No such thing as TMI here. If it concerns the health of you or someone who matters to you, it’s fair game. :wink:

3 Likes

As another parent with a Toddler with T1 (2 years old), I feel you, and I’m with you! Just breath whenever you can, try to relax and not overthink things. My wife and I are always here if you ever want to chat! I’m sure it would do us both good. Email/PM me anytime and I’ll respond quickly!

2 Likes