Oh Pizza, Oh Pizza, You're giving me fits

Here is a Poem I wrote for my long lost friend PIZZA.

This is a response to a forum topic " will never pig out on this food again… " Click Here for Link

HERE IS A POEM I WROTE JUST FOR YOU PIZZA!

Oh Pizza, Oh Pizza, I miss you, you stink!
I wish I could wash you away in the sink
If only my 8 hour combo bolus could fit
Oh Pizza, Oh Pizza you’re giving me fits!

I’d rather eat candy without any insulin
Than eat your cheese pizza and wipe sauce from my chin
I know that tomorrow will be a bad day
Oh Pizza, Oh Pizza please don’t stay

Why at parties are you always there
With Meat on top of Peppers and Peperoni that stare
It’s the way I reheat you to save some cash
Oh Pizza, Oh Pizza, just go in the trash.

-Thank you, I miss you pizza.

Awesome poem! I can totally relate! I tend to feel the same about appetizeers! They just dont agree with me and my nighttime sugars after a good party!I guess I need to learn to refrain!

Nice! I take 3 shots spaced over several hours to cover pizza, so I turn it down pretty often.

Love it!!! I gave up on pizza a long, long time ago. If only my non diabetic friends could understand…as they offer me some and I always have the same response. No thanks, I might as well go have cake. We need a nutrition whiz to figure out how to make one that we could eat without all the highs hours later.

Yeah…it sucks. There are things that I just sometimes give in to that I know I should avoid! You know Chick fil A (in the south) has come out with new shakes…mmmm. I avoided them as long as I could. Last night, I gave in and split one with my daughter. My bs was 175 this am. Yuck! Ususally my am bs is not over 100. I know I shouldn’t have given in, but I did…and it was yummy!

I’m willing to give my first born for a pizza right now. Make it a tofu and konjac (yam) deep crust pan pizza with extra cheese and supreme toppings…please. I haven’t had any pizza in over a year. I’m on Metformin.

However, Penn State Diabetes Center actually did a study titled “Optimal Insulin Pump Dosing and Postprandial Glycemia Following a Pizza Meal Using the Continuous Glucose Monitoring System,” which was published in the April '05 issue of Diabetes Technology & Therapeutics. That study is about the best way to combat the gulucose-raising effects of doughy carbohydrate-dense crust and high fat content pizza and some people with diabetes. The outcome of the study suggests “a slow and steady insulin-dosing pattern may best combat the glucose-raising effects of that common favorite food.”

Also, a Penn State study doc is quoted in an article as saying “after a high carbohydrate, high fat meal like the pizza used in this study, spacing out insulin given by an insulin pump in two doses, one of which is over an eight-hour period, may keep glucose levels in a more favorable range than a single dose of insulin or a double dose taken over a shorter period.” See http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/23803.php

You are Good onehappydiabetic !!
The Italy Italians know how to make pizza for us people living with diabetes …thin crusts !!
I did eat pizza a few times, while in and around Rome and BG control actually pretty good …

We actually make our own “pizzas” with whole grain low carb tortillas on the toaster with lots of vegetables… and home made tomato sauce, or not sauce at all… just ricotta and olive oils… it usually goes well for Manuel’s numbers.

Too funny. Can totally relate. Not only does my sugars go crazy. But sets my stomach on fire. So it is a real bad no no for me. OOey GOOey Pizza How I Miss Thou So Much.

Like Adreina my wife and I build our pizza on a low carb tortilla tastes fine and works well.

Thanks everyone for your comments :slight_smile:

I ate some pizza tonight!!! Yikes, did a combo bolus, but splurged and ate 3 slices of pizza. My BG topped at 200 and is going back down… Yippe!

Yeah, I’ve had to mostly eliminate pizza and pasta from my diet. Whenever I do give in, I usually have to use the dual wave bolus on my pump stretched over 3-4 hours. Tastes great, but sure comes with a price!

That was fantastic and that’s from a pizza lover .I seldomly eats that great stuff that drives our bs levels through the ceiling. Thanks for that new perspective and the humour.Pete

I too, was missing pizza, but I found a recipe for one that we can eat and it doesn’t raise my glucose levels.

1 low-carb Flat-Out Italian (net carbs 6 gm)
2 TBSP spaghetti sauce - I used Prego Heart Smart
Mozzarella Cheese grated - about 1/4 to 1/3 cup
2 Jimmy Dean turkey sausage links, sliced
chopped onions
chopped peppers

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cover cookie sheet with foil and spray with non-stick spray. Place flatbread on cookie sheet. Spread the spaghetti sauce on the flatbread. Cover with cheese and top with sausage, onion, and peppers (or whatever toppings you want).

Bake for about 20 minutes on lower oven rack, but watch it to make sure it doesn’t burn. Once hot and bubbly, remove and cut and enjoy! This has never raised my blood sugars. It is very low carb.

Jane,

Anytime you are in the CT area my wife and I would love for you to bake this recipe! :slight_smile:

i’m so sorry for your loss . when day you will meet again
your friend , kerri

Pizza also makes my count go up, but I have found if I make my own with whole wheat flour and just have my usual 2 pcs. My count is very good