Oil and Water Don't Mix

In 12 days, I will officially have had diabetes for more years than not. I remember the first year with the disease, I felt so hopeful and confident that I’d be cured in no time–maybe 5 or 10 years. But now that I’ve reached 11 years of needles and doctor’s visits and blood sugar testing, I realize that I need to finally accept my disease. Please visit my blog collegeveganista to read on.

While oil and water alone don't mix, they do mix in the presence of an emulsifier. Perhaps for you, the acceptance of your diabetes is your emulsifier, and diabetes will become just part of you, instead of it being a separate glop of oil on your back dragging you down.

I hit that mark in 2010 (18 years with it.) It hit me like a ton of bricks that I'd officially lived more of my life WITH it than without it. :/ This year, in October, it'll be my 20 year "anniversary" with T1. I have always been involved with my local JDRF chapter, but just within the last month I have decided to start a blog, and start using my disease for good vs evil. (http://nomoreshotsforshannon.wordpress.com) It has helped to write about it, too, because I don't have any close T1 friends. You're not alone, Leanne! :)

They told me the "5 year story" when I was diagnosed, 25 years ago. I think they tell doctors to use the "5 year story" whenever possible.
I have decided that no matter how long it takes, it will not be 5 years. Even now If I talk to a new doctor, I get " you know in 5 years this disease wont even exist?" It is all I can do to not punch him. I think it took me a good 5 years to just accept that I have this for ever. I think the new "5 year story" should be: " This will be a rough transition and in about 5 years you will begin to accept that it is for ever "
Once you do that then life gets easier and the disease stops running your life.
( say all this with a blood sugar of 230 because my pump canula came loose)
Just sayin is all :)

Thanks guys! You're all so helpful and I appreciate the support.