OK, Help from you guys

SO I AM STARTING THE MEDTRONIC MINIMED PARADIGM PUMP IN ABOUT 2 DAYS. FOR THE PAST 8 YEARS THAT I HAVE HAD DIABETES I HAVE NOT TAKEN CARE OF MYSELF. MY URINE CONSTANTLY HAS KETONES, AND MY BLOOD SUGARS ARE RARELY UNDER 240. IM READY TO CHANGE MY WHOLE OUTLOOK ON DIABETES. I NEED A 360 - DEGREE CHANGE. DIET, EXERCISE, INSULIN, CARBS, EVERYTHING! I NEED YOUR HELP. HOW DO I NOT GAIN A LOT WEIGHT WHILE RE-INTRODUCING INSULIN TO MY BODY. HOW MUCH SHOULD I START OFF EXERCISING, HOW MANY CARBS A DAY SHOULD I EAT, HOW MANY UNITS SHOULD I TAKE A DAY. I KNOW I SHOULD GET THIS INFO FOR MYSELF FROM MY DOCTOR BUT IM JUST CURIOUS WHAT “YOU” ALL DO ON A DAILY BASIS. IVE POSTED A DISCUSSION LIKE THIS BEFORE BUT PEOPLE WERENT REALLY DETAILED ABOUT IT. I WANT TO KNOW ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING … HERES AN EXAMPLE

WAKE UP AT 9:30AM CHECK BLOOD
TAKE INSULIN, WAIT 30MIN THAN BREAKFAST (1 SCRAMBLED EGG AND 1 SLICE OF WHOLE WHEAT TOAST 20G CARB)
CHECK BLOOD AT 12PM, TAKE INSULIN 30MIN BEFORE LUNCH
LUNCH (SLICED APPLE WITH YOGURT- 50G CARB) …
…THANKS GUYS

Hi Kristen,

If you’re about to start pumping, then you ABSOLUTELY MUST GET Pumping Insulin by Walsh and Roberts. Here’s the link at Amazon. It contains >95% of the information you will need.

Next, you need to meet with a nutritionist. Figure out what your target weight is for your age and height. That will get you to the total number of calories you need to consume per day. You can go high-carb, lo-carb, etc. in getting to your target calories needed. Your nutritionist will help you set up a meal plan that fits with what you want to eat and when you want to eat.

You also need to meet with a diabetes educator. If you’re really lucky, you can find one who is also a nutritionist. Your d-educator will help you figure out the timing of your BG checks, your insulin dosing, etc. You can also figure out an exercise program. My very first d-educator was also a nutritionist and she was absolutely the best one I ever had.

And keep in touch with your main doc/endocrinologist. Keep the doc informed. If you have questions, pepper your doc with them. You’re paying him/her, so make 'em earn his/her money.

Take copious amounts of notes on everything you are doing. That will help you figure out what you are doing, what is working and what is not. And it will help you and your d-team make adjustments to your daily routine/plan.

Good luck to you.
Cheers, Mike

yes that book is awesome

Kristen, I will be getting a pump in two weeks time. I have been quite good at looking after myself but hope the pump will improve my control. I suggest that you write everything down. Your BG numbers, Carbs, how much insulin you take etc. for a few weeks and you will be able to get an idea of where you need to change things. I’m reading ‘Pumping Insulin’ at the moment and also recomment it. GOOD LUCK