OmniLooping

Here is an article discussing the risks of restarting the factory calibrated Dexcom G6 sensor. Also it mentions that “soaking” the factory calibrated Dexcom sensor may also throw off the calibration. I think he is suggesting if you do soak it, best to use no code when inserting the sensor. Just my take. I still have yet to get a sensor to last 10 days. I’m hoping my current sensor which is on day 9 will be my first!! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I am not using G6 yet because I am on Medicare and Dexcom has delayed delivery to the 4th quarter of this year. I think this stuff is not an issue for G5.

4 Likes

Yes, I think you are right. Sorry, I thought you were on G6. Good luck getting G5 working better, soaking sounds like ur would help.

We barely get ten days as well. On day nine or ten we get the ??? Equivalent and have yet to be able to restart a G6 sensor successfully.

1 Like

I started looping two weeks ago with my G4. I’m using the G4 w/share, so in addition to the rileylink and an old iPhone, I’ve got a lot of gadgets to carry!

I’m going to jump to the g5 or g6… sounds like the G5 may be the better way to go with looping? The g6 increased accuracy would be nice, but sounds like there are a lot of folks with site trouble. I’ve been T1 for 20+ years so plenty of scar tissue limiting my site selections.

2 Likes

That’s great! Please post and let us know how it helps you maintain control!!

I’m not sure it is scar tissue that causes the G6 failures. I also had problems w/ G4 and G5 reaching their stated expiration dates :frowning: I was hoping G6 would be better. And actually my latest sensor expires today, so it will reach its stated expiration period of 10 days. That is much better than the G5, for me, since I struggled to get accurate readings at 7 days! So for me, I am happy with the G6 and glad that I upgraded.

That’s great to know- thanks for the info!

With my insurance timing, I’m going to use the G5 for 3 months (cash bought a transmitter) and see how it goes. In 3 months I’ll be eligible to upgrade, and maybe a G6 is in my future.

Given the Tidepool/Dexcom/Medtronic announcements last week your speculation has proven well-founded Terry4 :slight_smile:
Let’s all hope there are more announcements following soon (cough cough Tandem cough!)

2 Likes

How did you use one pod for 80 hrs?! That is magical!

I think they recommend to change at 72 hours, but there is additional 8 hour safety net before the scream of death.

3 Likes

G’marnin Pat! What a nice email to wake up to. Thank you for your response. I’ve wondered how you are. Catch me up, ok?

I moved for a short time to omniloop but within three weeks lost the darn RL. So I’m in line waiting but feel like my sugars are generally better on Medtronic Loop. I am still on a steep learning curve that is not comfortable but Loop is definitely the best BS I’ve ever had.

How have you been?

Kim

3 Likes

I just started open looping this week and am on my second pod. My G6 sensor expires tonite and my pod tomorrow. I will try to restart the G6 and see how it holds up. I am excited about this but am still learning a lot. I ordered another RL for backup and it shipped in 2 days.

Are you all operating in closed loop mode or open

3 Likes

Wow, fast! I still need to order a backup.

I’m operating in closed loop.

2 Likes

I am a couple of weeks into Looping with Omnipod. I don’t think that my body is a great fit with pods as I have huge differences in insulin absorption from day to day and site to site. I just updated to the jojo branch and it really has the potential to solve my problems as I can increase insulin delivery by whatever percentage I choose for whatever duration I choose. I have been closed Loop most of the time and mostly impressed by how much protection Loop is giving me from lows. Jojo is giving me the tools to address highs and I am optimistic as I move forward in the Looping universe.

4 Likes

I’m operating in closed loop. So far my numbers are not better than before looping.

3 Likes

I’m approximatey 3 weeks in and huge learning curve but loving it! One thing I really am noticing is that the #s you put in have to be accurate or it won’t work right. I know I need to do basal testing and confirm I:C ratios and sensitivity factors, but I just haven’t found the time to do so. I need to make time.

3 Likes

I’m at work and don’t have access to the FB page. Does someone have the link for JoJo beeps fork so I can read up on it? Google doesn’t have it.

@BradP
https://github.com/Kdisimone/Loop/tree/jojo-beeps

Click the Wiki link for documentation:
Home · Kdisimone/Loop Wiki · GitHub

2 Likes

Thats no good, laddie. Do you think that you are too thin for Omnipod or might it be a scar tissue thing? You have been moving the pods around on your body, right? I’m not at all sure how to solve that. But, I’ve heard you mention it before.

I am one week in. I started closed loop right away. I can see some decrease in BG on extreme ends of the spectrum, which is helpful. I think the similarity in the data shows that my initial loop settings were pretty good. I’ll need to experiment with meals a bit. Note: Data will be skewed a bit higher due to a failure on Saturday. But, otherwise, not bad. Overall, running a little bit higher average than before, but I expect to be able to bring that back down.

4 Likes

Tonight my RileyLink has been doing unexpected things. First after I bolused for supper it stated that my BS would be -157 mmol/L. I checked to see that I did not pump in twice and I did not. The end number has been coming up and my dexcom and Nightscout apps seem to be working. Is there any way to fix the graph so it displays with more accuracy? It is just a straight line in my Loop app. I hope this works itself out!