Omnipod and Dexcom G6

I am on Omnipod and my sports are snorkeling once a week and an exercise bike 10 miles every day. I only have ever been on an Omnipod because I only wanted a tubeless pump.

A pump makes sports way easier because you can suspend or what I like the most is a temporary reduction of insulin while you are active. Personally a pump makes it easier to maintain a lower BG level after meals for me too. Although there are plenty of people that do that on MDI too.

But a pump makes it easier to give small doses in steps for meals, I just didn’t do that as much with a MDI shot. So I give a prebolus, and a bolus when I eat. You can with an Omnipod, give yourself 2 separate bolus amounts or you can give a 2 dose set up with picking your prebolus amount and doing an extension or release of bolus insulin over an amount of time. And a CGM allows you to watch and give any adjustments as needed. Any instructions are programmed into the pod and you don’t need the pod until you want to change something or take another bolus. But it is so much easier during the day and the variety of what our Bg’s can throw at us to give those little correction doses as needed throughout the day.

So my basics to snorkel I do a 50% reduction of basal a half hour before I snorkel for 2 hours and I snorkel for an hour. This has worked extremely well for me. I had read that it is better to reduce insulin versus stopping to stop the rebound rise in BG after activities and it seems to work. Keeping in mind I do have to do a few adjustments depending on my starting Bg level which I do need to increase to snorkel etc. And how hard that exercise will end up can vary for me.

As for your CGM being off. Some people have better luck than others with it’s accuracy. Mine I am able to usually keep within 5 points. I always calibrate it when I have a straight arrow for at least 15 minutes. I also always only calibrate it when I am 95-105 as that is when I want the most accuracy out of it because that is when I am doing my dosing for meals. I don’t even pay attention to it’s accuracy when I am at 140 etc, because for me I just don’t care? I either have spiked up because I ate and mistimed my dosing so it’s explained or it’s because I guessed wrong etc and I know that and need an adjustment. But mine is never far off either. In the past I have found it becomes more inaccurate at the higher numbers.

Do try to calibrate your G6 and then about 4 hours later check it again in case it needs another one. I just check it immediately upon starting, then about 2-4 hours after. It needs a calibration for me at one of those times, usually not both. Then the next day I fine tune it to be closer if needed. Can you maybe carry the cgm reader out with you so it can give you an alarm when needed out on the field?

Pods or sites malfunction. With an Omnipod you can’t tell what the problem is that caused it really so much as it’s not working well. That seems to show up right away when you first put it on. I suppose it could get torn off during sports and there are overtapes to help stop that. Once it’s off, you stop receiving insulin and that is a problem if you are talking hours. But you can always give a shot and use the pod to get insulin from at that point as long as you have access to a syringe.

Omnipod is working on a loop system, the hopeful release date seems to be the end of next year. That would have a shut off feature that the tubed loop pumps have now. You can do a do it yourself loop system with the Omnipod now. I have a thread I asked what is needed here, starting with you have to have a riley link.

4 Likes