OmniPod and TSA Full Body Scan

I switched to the Omnipod about a month ago. I’m loving it. Now I am about to embark on one of my travel marathons for work and I want to know what to expect from TSA. I never use the old standard metal detector because I have a metal knee. Rather, I use the full body x-ray thingy. I know that my Dexcom sensor seldom even shows up on the full body x-ray. Will the Omnipod pod show up? If so, do TSA agents seem to have some familiarity with the Omnipod Pod (I ask because it looks so different than other pumps).

Thanks for any wisdom you can impart!

[quote=“Donna_H, post:1, topic:47799, full:true”]
I switched to the Omnipod about a month ago. I’m loving it. Now I am about to embark on one of my travel marathons for work and I want to know what to expect from TSA. I never use the old standard metal detector because I have a metal knee. Rather, I use the full body x-ray thingy. I know that my Dexcom sensor seldom even shows up on the full body x-ray. Will the Omnipod pod show up? If so, do TSA agents seem to have some familiarity with the Omnipod Pod (I ask because it looks so different than other pumps).

Thanks for any wisdom you can impart!
[/quote]Here is what “they” say: http://www.myomnipod.com/pdf/14986-AWAirTravelTipsFlyerR2-11-11.pdf
I have never been in an airport where you don’t have to go through the metal detector first, surely it won’t mess up the metal knee other than cause an alert, and then you go to scan or pat down. If your pod is going to cause them to want to have a closer look, oh well. May your work travel marathon include some fun.

Just say you want to “opt out” and you can get a pat down instead. Then mention you have an insulin pump. They will have you touch it with your own hands then swab your hands. They literally do this every day it is not a big event for them, or for the traveler. I do it all the time just to be a nonconformist, and I don’t even have a pump.

Hey Donna.

First, hope you are liking the Omnipod. I’ve been wearing for years and love it.

Second - I’ve traveled extensively with Omnipod and have never had any issues. I just took a trip to FL and did the full body x-ray and yes, both showed up on the screen. I told the agent I was a diabetic and one was a CGM sensor and the other my wireless insulin pump. He did a quick pat down and I was on my way.

Good luck and have a safe trip!!

Thanks for all of your wisdom on this. I’ve now been through TSA a few times and it was just a pump/hand swab like with my other pump. Easy Peazy. And yes LOVING the omnipod! Looking forward to the new gen PDM expected in 2016.

awesome to hear!!!