Omnipod Question

Hi I’m new to the Omnipod and forgot to ask this at the training. My biggest fear is an occlusion after a pod change. I just changed my pod and my blood sugar has risen 60 points in an hour and a half. Does that seem normal or indicate something is wrong with the insulin delivery? How much would it rise if something is wrong over that amount of time? If I have to change the pod and my blood sugar is very high, should I give myself a correction with an insulin syringe. Sorry, just very worried before bed.

The PDM will give you an occlusion alarm, but sometimes it takes several units for it to detect.

What were you using before the pump? Injections?

Several people have noticed a slow start-up on a new pod. This has happened to me too.

Is it late where you are? It might be good to abandon the pod and return to it during daytime. For your first few pods, starting it at night might not be the best idea! Once you become comfortable, it will be no big deal.

Just me, I’d bail on it, and try again in the morning. If you take it off, don’t forget your basal injection!

Let me clarify. I am not saying the Pod is not working. It’s possible the trainer gave you very conservative settings to start with, and you are not getting enough insulin. Or the rise might be because of your meal. The pod may be fine!

But, what I AM saying, is that nighttime is not the best time to figure that sort of stuff out! If you don’t have a good support “crew” with you right now, someone that can take care of you if you get in trouble, it’s safer to bail.

Learn during the day, rest during the night. :slight_smile:

Hope you are ok!

1 Like

BG rises following a pod change are not unusual for me. I theorize that until a certain amount of basal insulin is delivered to the new site, there is not enough “pressure” to move the insulin into your body. I’m sure everyone is different in this regard. I’ve been known to give myself a unit after changing a pod just to speed up the absorption. Just a thought. I’m not a doctor.

1 Like

2 probable reasons.

1. New site absorption.
  2. Air bubbles

I have found that even though you prime, there are a little bit of air bubbles that sometimes cause the first few units to be a bit short. I like to think of it as filling a garden hose with water–then moving the hose to a different outlet. There are a few spurts from air bubbles before it comes out steady.

You will have to just be patient and see how the different sites work for you. For example this is my sensitivity:

1. Pod on arm or abdomen - no immediate bolus needed.
  2. Pod on upper buttocks - 1 unit bolus after new pod
  3. Pod on calves - 2 unit bolus after new pod inserted