Omnipod-style pods seeing use in cancer treatment

Sorry to put this here, I couldn’t figure out how to put it on the “Uncategorized” page.

I was watching TV awhile back, and again today and the commercial for the Neulasta OnPro Kit caught my attention. I swear it looks like a repurposed Omnipod pod! It’s a single-use on-body injector that is set to inject a dose of a medication taken after a certain type of chemotherapy to help reduce risk of infection. There doesn’t seem to be a PDM, but the pod delivers an injection 24-27 hours after chemotherapy and over the course of 45 minutes.

I think it’s really cool that they are finding other uses for these pods, and it’s awesome that someone who has just undergone chemo the day before doesn’t necessarily need to make a trip back up to the treatment center just to get a shot when they may not be feeling great.

2 Likes

Omnipod is doing quite a bit of business in non-insulin drug delivery. It’s become a significant source of revenue, and the pod is ideal for some types of medication that require a steady drip over several days or longer.

1 Like

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: the OmniPod system rocks! Way to go, Insulet Corp. Job well done!

Drug delivery (non-insulin) accounted for close to 15% of the company’s revenue in the past quarter, up from less than 1% for the same quarter in the previous year.

1 Like