OmniPod Users: connect here!

5 years is a LOOOONG time! They should have worked to bring out a CGM that shared the PDM with the OmniPod and had 2 separate sites first. When I got my Dexcom, I needed to buy a bigger handbag because 1 extra bit of kit, plus spares was too much for my handbag!

My current sensor is on its 22nd day. I shudder to think how much more it would cost to have a 3 day sensor and an OmniPod combined. I have no idea who gave Ypsomed that idea!

I am lucky: I'm British and my OmniPod, Insulin, Test Strips and Dexcom are funded by the NHS. I can use 1 Dexcom sensor per week, but extending their life reduces the cost and makes it more likely that the NHS will continue to fund it. How many Americans, with Co-Pay etc will choose the all-singing, all-dancing OmniPod over the Dexcom?

Iā€™m checking the comments maybe Iā€™ll learn sumting

http://www.tudiabetes.org/group/omnipodusers/forum/topics/omnipod-and-the-slow-degradation-of-performance?commentId=583967%3AComment%3A3412372&xg_source=msg_com_gr_forum
Dave- go to this conversation.

Iā€™m an omni pod user and just got the Dexcom a week ago. Itā€™s fantastic and Iā€™ve had it on for 10 days so far, but would be a lot better if omni pod had come out with something integrated. Spent the last year in England and had everything funded, way better because now have been paying out of pocket and itā€™s very difficult to maintain

Insulet backed away from integration because writing on the wall is that smartphones will be the next Dexcom receivers. The clunky OmniPod PDM cannot compete. I hope that someday I will be able to bolus from a smartphone. I can't wait to put the OmniPod PDM in it's rightful place: the trash can.

I have had 5 pod failures in 3 weeks. Just had the last 2 as 2 pods from a new box both failed to activate, I could not even get the insulin out of them! Called and as usual waited until the "leave a message" voice came on. What the heck has happened with Omnipod??? I'm seriously considering gong back to a tube system...

My DD has been on the omnipod for 1 year this July and tonight told me she wanted to return to a tube system. We've had so many pod failures that require extra pain on her part, and she felt like her old pump rarely failed, and if it did, we knew it right away. I told her we still had the old pump supplies and that was the nice thing about our current age, we at least have options. Has anyone else had this happen with their child?

I used this quite successfully during a 5 day hike 40-60F light rain with heavy mud environment:

http://www.dx.com/p/waterproof-housing-case-for-iphone-4-black-81349

It fits the bulky and unfashionable PDM just snug and let it hang from the backpack to the shoulder strap area. I would probably rig some velcro attachment to the shoulder strap the next round.

The POD, however, errored out 4 times. I wear them on my arm and they were exposed (short sleeve shirts most of the time) so perhaps the insulin crystallized? Either way, those moments were pissers and not fun.

Insurance and proving once again that you are a type 1 diabetic:

Just a quick note to remind your insurance people, every one you end up having to talk to, that Omnipod is a disposable pump system so you don't end up with approval of ONE pod after weeks trying to prove to them that you are STILL a T1D.

Waterproof Omnipod PDM: I just got a "drypak" DP-46 from Big 5 for $15, Walmart, Amazon also sell them. The PDM fits great, it floats. Haven't done any further testing yet.

Endo Shortage!

after being followed for over ten years as a "Type 2" by my PCP, I waited over 3 months for my first appt with my endo, Dr. Y. I could have gotten in earlier with one of his associates, but I did my research and wanted Dr. Y. Now I understand why he is so sought after but I know many of you have shared that you don't have the luxury of choosing between endo's. After reading the above referenced article, I understand why. ::sigh::

Waiting for OmniPod approval. Just started Dexcom last week and can't believe I waited this long! It has changed my life and how I approach my food. Don't care if I have to wear two devices and have 2 pda's!

I have been a pump user since 10/2005. I started with the Medtronic Paradigm and used their pumps for 8 yrs. In the past year, I have tried the Asante Snap and OmniPod, which I use now. I liked certain features of the Snap but had too many failed deliveries; the Asante folks were great and allowed my return of their device. I really like the OmniPod for many reasons, most notably, of course, no tubing. However, I have had lots of failures with the device. OmniPod also is great in replacing the failed pods. Historically, I have had very few occlusions. Recently though, I am having occlusions. I am very careful to rotate my insertion sites and do not believe I have any obvious scar tissue concerns. Is there anyone who also has experienced occlusions with OmniPod and successfully limited or eliminated them. If so, how?

BayBorn- sometimes it is just a bad batch. If you get to many from the same batch they will usually exchange or replace the box of pods.

dishers -- the customer service reps always tell me that failures are replaced but occlusions are not.

BayBorn, ahh yeah, sometimes they do if it was the day that you have put it on and not closer to having to change it, I guess it depends who you are talking to. I have not had many only time I do is if I donā€™t pinch up. or sometimes on my thigh and the cannula somehow comes out.

So my son has been using the Omnipod since last January. I'm concerned that it's not working - or is inconsistent with its delivery. He has been consistently high the last few months and we've been working with the doctor to change his settings, etc. Then - last week - he had new insulin and also a new box of pods - and - wow - he was under 200 consistently for almost a week! He changed his pod the other day - and now we're back to the same kind of numbers....so frustrating we can't get his numbers in the green range...

Sonya, it might help to know how old your son is ? Do you see a pediatric endo ?

Consistently high blood sugars would normally suggest that the correction bolus ratio is way off, because the correction boluses fix errors in both the basal rate and the carb/insulin ratio.

However for me if my blood sugars were consistently over 200 I would have problems getting lower numbers; my BG seems to ā€œstickā€ sometimes. I just keep doing corrections until it comes down, and avoid eating of course. Exercise doesnā€™t help.

Flipping between being consistently below 200 and consistently above 200 sounds like an extreme variant of that.

(I can, and will, exceed 200 after a meal with any large amount of pure carbs (more than 20g as wheat or rice) for a short period of time. Thatā€™s no problem for me and it is unavoidable in many scenarios, but it only lasts until the insulin kicks in; 30 minutes to an hour.)

Anyway, I think the fact that you are seeing consistent results means that the Omnipod canā€™t be behaving inconsistently. So probably the thing to do at this point is work with your son and his endo to stabilize his blood sugar at a lower level. I suspect last weeks results simply indicate that you are almost at this point!

Gary Scheiner has written about this in his book, "Think Like a Pancreas" and has a Website with basal testing: http://integrateddiabetes.com/basal-testing/

Hopefully, this will help you switch gears.