OmniPod Users: connect here!

diabfighter: which 404 lot code?

I just reported almost a dozen failed 40457 pods. I call them my Atlanta pods (404 area code LOL). Insulet wanted all of them back. When we were on the old pod I only had to return one or two. I think they definitely know thereā€™s a problem with some of those initial lots.

Thanks diabfighter and jackā€™s mom. Had a feeling that insulet is aware just from that one customer service rep prompting me with the question of did it fail during the Bolus, when all I had said up to that point was that I was reporting a pod failure. I mean she even had the moxy to say to me that insulet does not replace pods after 48 hours but since they wanted it back to explore this particular issue they were going to send me new ones with a bag to send back the failed one. When she initially started with that song and dance of they do not replace them after 48 hours I was going to go on a warpath to say why do you claim people can wear them for 72 hours if you find it acceptable for them to fail after 48? But it never got that far.

I got the same 48 hour comment. I said when did that start, and he said it has always been the policy. I then started to rattle off a bunch of additional omnipod costs we have incurred for various reasons, and he stopped talking about it. And yes, the rep kept asking me if the failure was during a bolus too. Either way, Iā€™m happy if they are looking into the issues, just donā€™t hassle me about replacements. Especially when Iā€™m calling in a dozen.

I feel they are doing the best the can. I did have one failure that put me over the edgeā€¦
I had to have an outpatient surgical procedure. I had put a new pod on about an hour before we left the houseā€¦on the way to the hospital, the darn pod failed! No time to go home. I was high from the stress of that and the surgery, I had to get insulin at the hospital. I was Very upset about the failure!

They have given me the "we don't replace the pods after they have gone past the 1/2 way point" which is to them 36 hours which is to me 40 hours. But at the same time they have never failed to replace a pod which has failed or occluded regardless of when it happened. So I am not sure if that is just part of the script they have to read while they are on the phone or it really is company policy. And Dee that totally sucks about your pod failing at a critical time. It might be worth having a spare pod in the car or in your purse maybe an emergency pod kit with all the components just so you don't have to go through that stress.

The Ypsomed trainer told me to always carry a spare pod, insulin & syringes for manual insulin delivery - in case the second pod and / or the PDM failed.

Ypsomed replace all my pods if they fail within 72 hours. Some fail on bolus, others donā€™t. The 40430s were a disaster.

I couldnā€™t face having a tubed pump, or going back to MDI, so Iā€™m content.

Interesting Clare, they did ask me when my next change was supposed to be and if It happened after I bolused. huh, I had two failures one after the other and then a occlusion, I did not call the occlusion in but was upset three days in a row. and the occlusion happened at 3am in the morning, the one I have on now I actually had to tape up since there was not stick to the adhesive, very strange, the others were similar.

I have 2 lots of pods currently - 40537 of which 2 failed randomly and 40641 of which none has failed yet and most have been worn for 80 hours. I stuck one on last night from the 40537 batch - hopefully the failures were just a random event and this one will be fine, I don't relish being woken at 3 am to that whine it's ear shattering.

The lot that had more pod failures for me was 40425. It had more failures that Insulet agreed to replace the unused ones belonging to the same lot.

steve-

are you sure abut the calf - i just tried it twice - and both failed!
could be just coincidence, as i have been many failures lately. just wanted to make sure it works for you?
also, i found when i took off my pants, sometimes it seemed to pull on the pod, no?
any other places you place your pod?
thanks!

My failures were lot 40420 - I think that's the same month of manufacture as 40425 (I think the first lot number jumps 20 each month, but that's just a wild guess). So far almost all the pods I've used have been 40420 - I've only just swapped to the replacements Insulet sent me.

Hi All ,

I'm new to omnipod & wanted to ask does omnipod has CGM in it? or do I need additional CGM ( I have the navigator CGM).

And if it needs additional CGM which one is mostly recomended ? Is tha Navigator II recomended for this integration ?

my little girl (1.9 years old ) is going to get an insulin pump.

is omnipod recommended for little ones ?

does anyone has experience with it with infants ?

Thanks In Advance,
Avi

Avi The Omnipod does not have CGM in it.

To Avie e: I did not begin using the Omni pod until I was 60...but given the issues about pod failures for adults, I would advise a different system for an infant. The other pump systems make it much easier to change out /save insulin if there is a problem . The problem with errors with the pod is that not all problems are indicated by an alarm...sometimes , when insulin delivery is not adequate, the pod is left on while the user tries more and different amounts of insulin to treat a high. If you have to change the pod early , you can use large amounts of insulin. I would go with another system so that , as a parent, I could treat problems more quickly. Of course consulting your child's endocrinologist is the best bet... as long as he/she is not too strongly influenced by device salespeople .

Iā€™d talk to your Endo, and remember that a child so young is a long way from understanding that they have diabetes. A tubed pump may get pulled out. The catheter insertion with tubed pumps is more of a predictable discomfort, which may make them more stressful for your daughter. With an OmniPod, you put the pod on (like a bulky sticker), sing a song / play a game & when sheā€™s distracted, you press the button & insert the catheter.

Good luck!

I agree Belinda!

Re: pod vs ? for infant. I agree from the point of view of the convenience of a pod for a young child/infant. But given the problems with the product, I think your approach is very idealized. You must pinch up skin to insert the catheter effectively; the pod may or may not work, and it takes time to figure that out; it will be bigger on a tiny child (I have a grand=daughter this age). No matter what product or system of injections used, treating an infant diabetic is very complex. But as I read the number and type of complaints by adults using the pod, including my own, I would certainly consult an objective Endocrinologist about whether the glitches in the new pods have been corrected well enough to rely on them for infant care. I would be glad to be proven wrong with these doubts...

I can't speak to the use on infants, but I can say that after a teething period on the new pod where I had lots of problems, the last couple of boxes have been flawless... no bad pods/failure. For the last couple of months it has been running as good as the old pods or better (which for me was 4-5 failures in 2 years). A key part of reducing failures for me was not filling to the max, only to 200u.