OmniPod Users: connect here!

Shawn, I haven’t had any issues. For me the scanner picks up the pod so then they do a pat down and I just tell them I have a pump and it’s never been an issue. If you have a letter from your dr you can travel with that but you should’ve have any problems.

Same here, Shawn. In 20+ trips, one pat down and a few hand swabs. I carry my insulin in the box with the RX label in case someone needs proof I need it.

Shawn, like the others have said, it doesn't have to be a huge issue. They definitely will pick up on the fact that there's something 'foreign' on your body, though. When I fly, I try to make sure that my pump is on me somewhere easily accessible. As I'm stepping into the full-body scanner, I tell the person working there that I have an insulin pump on my abdomen (or arm, whatever). That gives them a heads up. Then, when you get out of the scanner, they will want to test for any explosive residue. So they will have you touch your pod with both hands and then will swab your hands and then do a quick test of that swab for any residue. It's quick and not too intrusive. But the fact that they want you to touch your pod is why I suggest trying to have your pod in an easily accessible spot. If it were on my thigh I'd have to pull down my pants and would want a private room for that. If it were on my arm and I had short sleeves on, I could just do it there quickly in the middle of the security area without much fuss. As a female, it worked to have an untucked shirt and I could touch the pod easily with both hands on my abdomen. Hope that gives you a better picture of what happens!

Oh, and you should have your vial of insulin in your little ziploc bag of liquids.

As others have mentioned, it's not too much of a hassle. The extra "touch the device and let us swab your hands" takes an extra 30 seconds, maybe? If it's just a metal detector it likely won't even set it off. If it's a backscatter or millimeter wave technology scanner, it'll show up. Like Melanie, I just tell the agent as I'm stepping into the machine "I have an insulin pump on my ____" (wherever I'm wearing it). They sometimes do a patdown over that region in addition to the hand swab, and sometimes they don't.
I leave my insulin with my extra pods and other supplies (syringes, alc swabs, skin tac swabs, etc) and I've never had anyone question it. I do carry an old insulin box (flattened and folded up so it fits better with the rest of the supplies) that still has a Rx sticker on it, but I've never had anyone ask for it.
Hope you're traveling somewhere fun Shawn! Or at least warmer than the rest of the country is right now :-)

I have travelled by plane with my 7 yr old probably 7 or 8 times since we got the pod 5 years ago - the New York Airports always seem to swab the pod - the other airports are hit or miss. Our bag with our juice boxes and insulin also gets swabbed. Children 10 and under (i think) only go through the metal detector - so she has nver been through the scatter machine. we have never had to show our letter from the doctor - though I do feel better having it.

@Shawn - I just tell them before I walk through I have a pump. They make me touch it and then swab my hands. I won't let them swab it. Has worked all up and down the east coast and quite a few times on the west coast as well. However, on the west coast they usually don't even ask and just let me go after seeing my medic alert bracelet.

We have traveled with my five year old daughter since her diagnosis 6 months ago. Honestly, I had read another person post awhile ago that it is not the TSA’s business whether or not you have diabetes that you should feel the need to volunteer it. Which is how I have proceeded with her. I have us walk through the metal detector and send her supplies and pdm through the scanner. The two times we have traveled via airlines neither her device or her supplies have caused an issue. If the TSA agent was to say something, then I would show her pump and explain it. I also have her endo letter with us in the backpack containing her medical supplies if we were questioned. I advocate the do not ask, do not tell policy.

I am of the opinion that there is no reason to withhold information that could potentially be misconstrued. If you have something affixed to your body - a small, electronic device - and don't readily offer that information, it could very easily be misinterpreted as something else. An agent who is perhaps a little jumpy might have an overreaction, and you could be put through a lot of difficulty and time wasted for no good reason. I can't think of a good reason not to tell the TSA.

Thanks everybody for the advise.

I am starting the Omnipod after I get my tonsils out on March 27th! I am so excited. Is there anything (other than what the trained educators tell me) That I should know before I get it?
Thanks!

Hi ok I got the control solution and tested it. Said 4.4 bottle says between 4.2-6.3 so code 16 would be correct right? Bit confused how people are comfortable with their readings at different code numbers trying to figure it out. Some help please. Lol

dishers,
I think I would opt to have a more in the middle reading, 5.2. you may need to change code(try 17). if you have another meter, you can compare a little better. others may have better opinions. hank

Thanks Hank, I am curious thought why the middle?

Better to be middle, so your actual reading should be what your BS actually is. I think they use the range because all meters are not created equal. I found on PDM with the recalled strips that I coded 17 to get the reading that agreed with my Freedom meter and midrange on control solution. I have not used the replacement strips yet, so I don't know what the code will be.

Makes spence thanks again Hank

Sense

I did it again and 17 gave me 5.3

Good for you, fishers. Question: are you using recalled strips or the new ones(exp date > 08/2015)?

I have been struggling all day with high sugars, started this morning at 12.2 and has been between 10 and 14 all day, so drained and headache, have not eaten a hole lot today, apples and chicken for supper. Changed my pod around 10 am. Have taken a shot to bring it down. Never experienced not being able to bring my sugars down before, worried if I keep trying I’m going to over dose with insulin lol. Anyone know why or had this experience? Any ideas?