On the Go Breakfast Ideas

I want to add that eating and driving - even passively - is considered as being dangerous for insulin dependend diabetics. Just imagine you have applied your shot and then you are involved in an accident before you have eaten your carbs. The insulin will drag you down and none of the firefighters will have an understanding of the dangerous situation you are in - especially if your are unconscious.

I make big batches of low-carb breakfast muffins and freeze them in small portions. Whenever I need breakfast on the go, I just grab some from the freezer.

The muffins are made with soy flour, flax, butter, eggs, caramelized onions, cheese and deli meat (ham, bacon, chorizo).

Lila, those sound good, can you point me to the recipe?

piece of bread with peanut butter and a protein shake with 1.5 scoops of whey and casein protein. 28 g carbs, ~65 g protein.

I’ve been eating on the way to work since I was 17, now I’m 56 and been a type 1 since I was 4. Never had a problem with this. I think sometimes we worry about items that are a real stretch.

For the original question, I eat a Pop Tart (37 carbs) and a Diet Coke on the 45 minutes drive to work 5 days a week. I’ve done that for the past 20 years, before that it was a 7-11 Cinnamon bun, but I didn’t count carbs in those days and didn’t worry about it.

On Saturdays, I usually go to Panera’s Bread, eat a Pecan Braid (46 carbs) and several cups of coffee, but I eat them in the store.

It’s very yummy!

I need that recipe, too, please! Sounds yummy.

No recipe, just a methodology.

The general technique is as follows:

• Gently fry an onion until it is nicely caramelized.
  • If you are using bacon, cook until crispy. Other deli meats can go in as is.
  • Grate cheese. About half a cup. A little more won’t hurt.
  • Dry ingredients: approximately 1 cup soy flour, 1/4 c flax, 2 teaspoons baking soda or powder
  • Wet ingredients: some butter/margarine/shortening (maybe 1/4 cup?), 3 eggs, a good squirt of any salsa or hot sauce I have around the house.
  • Mix dry and wet and fold in cheese and chopped meat of your choice.

Bake in muffin trays, 350F/180C about 20 minutes or until risen and nicely golden.

I have never actually measured the ingredients as I cook by instinct. The batter should look like normal muffin batter. They will bake up to look like normal high carb muffins. I have fed these to non-pancreatically challenged people and they did not realize these were not ‘normal’ muffins.

I don’t know what the carb count is but I bolus as for protein as these are high protein. They freeze very well.

Bon appétit!

Thank you!!!

That sounds really good this morning. I can’t digest casein very well, but I need to find a protein powder for making protein shakes. Any suggestions on a brand that is healthy? Maybe one with just whey or ??? almost Dr. SuFu?

optimum nutrition makes a very good whey protein isolate in a ton of different flavors. a scoop has 24g protein and 3g carb.

Thanks!

I have a slimfast shake (from powder, milk chocolate flavor) every morning. I always avoided the slimfast, because I assumed it had to much sugar. But I don’t get the spike i expected, something about the fiber content slows it down. It’s listed as a low GI food, if you follow that. . I’m not really much of a milk drinker, so this also sneaks in some vit D Works great for me and is super fast and satisfies my sweet tooth. It’s also very filling and I’m not usually hungry before lunch.