One more reason to hold on to pharmacy "patient info" sheets

As I've noted before, I am one of the fortunate ones whose medical insurance not only covers my testing supplies (and, were I to need them, diabetes medications), but covers those supplies at zero co-pay, without limit, provided I have a doctor's prescription. When my last prescription's refills ran out, CVS had no trouble calling the doctor's office to put in a request to the insurance company, and everything was copacetic.

Well, I got a new prescription when I saw the doc in late September, just in time to get it filled. I went to refill the prescription by phone, and kept getting a message that "it is too early to refill this prescription". WTF?!?! I went back to the "patient info sheet' that is always stapled to the prescription bag, and it said the fill was for 60 days instead of 30. The "info sheet" for the previous prescription did, indeed, say "30 days" on it.

WTF?????

There were three obvious possibilities:

1. the doctor mis-wrote the prescription (have to go back to the doctor to get it rewritten).
  2. the insurance plan unexpectedly kicked back the level of testing (have to fight the insurance company or pay for the other half of the supplies myself)
  3. the original prescription was improperly transcribed by the pharmacy

I took the patient info sheets from both prescriptions to the pharmacy and asked the pharmacist to check to see if they could find any reason for the change in frequency. A few minutes later, the pharmacist said, "I fixed it" and gave me a patient info sheet marked "30 days". I said "Great! I need to put this infor a refill." "Do you want to wait?" I nodded yes... Not ten minutes later, I'm walking out with my refilled prescription, no cash out of pocket.

Documentation can be a wonderful thing!

The co-pays, if you don’t pay for them through a health savings account, may also be deductible on your income tax returns.