Ongoing Omnipod Problems

Well, she’s just so miserably high that I’m trying to get here back to normal ASAP. In the summertime, when things get serious, I always break open a new bottle (just in case the old one is aging or got left in the car). Every once in a while, your working with a bad bottle of insulin.

3x is in the realm of ‘typical’ user experience. Are you guys hearing alarms from those failures? If so, call Omnipod and find out exactly what is causing that failure. They can look up the error code and give more specific information.

If your not hearing alarms, then there is something stranger going on that will be hard to uncover and it is more likely to do with her physical body - for instance, she placed the device on top of scar tissue.

1. That’s just bad luck, then. The timing of the sensor restart was at an unfortunate time. That helps explain why it took longer to discover that the pod had failed and contributed to why she got so, so high.

2. Your wife is petite. Petite women and some children tend to see more Omnipod failures. I think its just a big, heavy device that is physically difficult for smaller people to support. I’m 175 lb female and I don’t have any trouble (I’m a large human with a lot of surface area). But, she might be kinda walking the line of not having enough tissue to really support the device. Sounds like she’s doing OK with only 3 failures. But, its something to keep an eye on.

As a smaller person, adequate rotation of the device on her body might be trickier. It will be harder to find good ‘meaty’ spots to place it.

If she starts seeing lots of failures, she might need to take a pump break and return to manual injection. That will give her body tissue time to heal from the trauma of the pump. The tissues and pod sites might need time to recover. So far, it seems ok, though.

Keep an eye on one another during this strange time. Lots of lifestyle changes are hitting everyone pretty hard. Diabetics have a lot of experience adapting to lifestyle changes and are pretty resilient. I’m, frankly, more concerned about ‘normal people.’ But, its good to be aware of one another during this time.

Thanks for being someone who provides support to a member of our community. Your a good dude.

She seems ok, but be aware that your wife is autoimmune compromised (probably) and is at increased risk of covid infection, so keeping stable numbers is important right now. We all have bad days. Her good a1c is super helpful. I think that the Diabetes Technology Society will host a meeting about what we do and do not know at the end of August. Might be interesting. Diabetes Technology Society

DPAC has a meeting tomorrow, it turns out, on a similar topic: Virtual meeting

1 Like