Open Faced Turkey Portobello Mushroom Burger (paleo, gluten free)

Last month I posted a couple recipes from FurtherFood.com (Shaved Brussels Sprouts, Toasted Quinoa, Pomegranate Salad, and Lemon Bliss Balls), as part of a collaboration we’re doing to bring our community creative, delicious and diabetes-friendly recipes. Further Food is a new site with a strong focus on presenting recipes that work for people with different health conditions (on the site you can choose your condition to get a list of recipes for it), including diabetes, along with dietician commentary on each recipe, stories from people who have the different conditions, and more. I think it’s a great concept! Please try this recipe, check out Further Food, and let me know what you think!

Open Faced Turkey Portobello Mushroom Burger
Paleo, gluten free

Prep Time: 10 mins
Cook Time: 50 mins
Servings: 1

INGREDIENTS
1 organic turkey burger (1/4 pound patty of ground turkey meat)
2 portobello mushrooms
2 tomato slices
2 romaine lettuce leaves
1/8 avocado
1 tablespoon basil
1/4 cup sweet potato
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
coconut oil (or olive oil)

INSTRUCTIONS

1. Before I made my burger, I made my sweet potato french fries! I took a big sweet potato and cut it up into little strips. In a bowl, I tossed the potato strips with salt, pepper and coconut oil and then spread them on a baking sheet. I put them in the oven (preheated to 475) and cooked for about 40 minutes.
  2. After my french fries were done, I put my turkey burger in a pan and cooked in all the way through. While my turkey burger was in the pan, I sliced a few pieces of tomato and avocado and washed my desired amount of basil and lettuce and my portobello mushroom.
  3. OPTIONAL: Before you put your burger all together, throw your mushroom in a pan or on the grill with a little bit of olive oil, salt, and pepper.
  4. Once everything is done, grab a plate and put down your portobello mushroom and then lettuce, turkey burger, tomato, avocado, and basil. Cover the rest of your plate in sweet potato french fries and enjoy!

NUTRITION INFORMATION
Per Serving: Calories: 389; Total Fat: 26g; Saturated Fat: 16g; Monounsaturated Fat: 1g; Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g; Cholesterol: 144mg; Sodium: 1863mg; Potassium: 549mg; Carbohydrate: 12g; Fiber: 3g; Sugar: 2g; Protein: 27g
Iron: 13%; Calcium: 13%

1 Like