Other than diabetes, do you live with any other health issues?

I answered the poll awhile ago, but never listed. So I was only just diagnosed with 1.5 in late May, 2018. However, all my other AI issues proceeded my diabetes issues.

1. Crohn’s disease - had this for over 20 years
  2. Ankylosing spondolitis (AS)
  3. Primary Sclerosing Colangitis (AI liver disease that affects the bile ducts)
  4. Hidradenitis Suppurativa
  5. IgA Vasculitis
    I was only diagnosed with diabetes after a pre-op blood test. Many times my blood sugars were high, but I was also on high dose steroids and the high blood sugars were attributed to that.

Me: no other auto-immune issues, allergies, nada. No history of T1 or T2 to speak of in my family either (ok, my second cousin has T1, but that makes one out of about 120 members in my extended family). Just lucked into the virus or whatever it was that kicked off T1.

Anyone remember that thread from the old site, “Are You the ‘Lucky’ One (T1)?” I think that might have been where I posted one of my first comments on TUD.

It seems to me that there must be more people out there like you. I find it really hard to believe that only 9% of TuD members have just T1D!

Hashimoto’s, psoriasis, and atrophic gastritis.

Other health issues besides TD 1 (diagnosed at age 70):

1. hypertension since about age 58
  2. postprandial hypotension
  3. hypothyroid diagnosed age 76
  4. osteoarthritis since my 50s
  5. Dupuytren’s contracture since my 50s
  6. osteoporosis diagnosed age 74
  7. obstructive apnea diagnosed age 76 (untreated I stopped breathing 88.8 times per hour. Have been unable to control with CPAP)
  8. muscle problem my rheumatologist has been unable to diagnose for over a year, but at least the inflammation is about 70-80% improved with a DMARD often prescribed for rheumatoid arthritis.

Of all my problems, it is the muscle problems that give me the worst time. At age 76 I went in a two week period from being able to move like someone in my 50s, including up and down ladders, to moving like I was over 100. Even with the medication and with physical therapy, I’ve only improved to moving like I’m 85 to 90.

But my heart and lungs are good.

I have been told I have Hashimoto’s disease and have to take armourthroid for it. I tried to take naturethroid but had trouble getting it. I don’t want to take synthroid. I also got peyronie’s disease couple years ago. It’s not too bad, sometimes but not so much, my urologist at the time said that diabetes is a precursor to peyronie’s. Took the xiaflex treatment. Improved slightly maybe 20%. It’s all good. It can be fixed but not sure I really want to have surgery.

Yep! I have a genetic disorder called G6PD. I am blessed to have a mild form of it so I have to make sure I avoid certain medicines and foods and try to stay healthy.

I’ve been Type1 for 58 years. Related to DM I have retinopathy, legally blind in left eye and almost no peripheral vision in the right eye, heart disease with two stents, and Hashimoto’s.

Unrelated to DM, I’m a breast cancer survivor and have been cancer free for two years.

Perhaps you speak of this post @DrBB

That is a very painful condition. Hope you don’t flair too often.

Thank you, it is. I had to have 2 surgeries this summer. That was how I was DX’d for diabetes. It was because I needed surgery for this. I’m on a 30 day bactrim dose right now, because it was starting back up again.