Others Must Do This, Too

So I was sitting in the student lounge in school yesterday, and one of the advisors comes out of her office to refill her cup of water for the fourth or fifth time that day (it was a 12-oz plastic cup). One of the other students commented on it and she said that she'd been really, really thirsty the past couple of days, like the kind of unimaginable thirsty where it never stops and doesn't get better. She shrugged it off as the unseasonable April heatwave.

Alarm bells went off in my head. And I kept my mouth shut.

And then I was talking to her later, and she mentioned that she'd been SO tired lately, also because of the heat.

And I kept my mouth shut.

I'm sure everyone's mind goes there. How often do you act on it? When do you say something? If it were a good friend, I'd recommend that she let me test her. Other people? I tend to keep quiet. (One exception--the baby of my neighbor's cousin...I said something to his mother. I never found out what happened with it, but she said that it had crossed her mind, too.)

Anyone out there?

I would say something. If she seemed to reject it then I did what I could.

I would probably mention that her symptoms might be diabetes, so if it doesn't stop she should mention the symptoms to her doctor. Then I would probably say "if you would ever like to test your blood sugar on my meter, just ask." That way you are not too pushy, and she can bring it up when she is comfortable for her, but you don't have to feel bad about not bringing it up.

It could also be excess amounts of salt in her diet, or some new medication she is on.

Had a customer in my shop a while back with a large slushie and needed to use the restroom. He mentioned that it was a common need. Dr that I am I asked if he evet tested and no was his answer. When I stuck his finger he was over 200. We had a talk about the risks and he left with the caution don,t tell my wife. He claimed to be under a lot of stress and would be doing a yearly exam soon. We do what we can but I am not embearested to inform.

I say something every time. if I see someone say something I always mention it. I am healthy because some one noticed it so I feel the obligation. I have never been told to mind my own business.

So do I ,Rick. It is the right thing to do, and I have not been told to stay away by anyone. Our caring interventions may save someone's life.

God Bless,
Brunetta

I say something all the time as well. But I always try to be sensitive about it. If someone is overweight or just because they are drinking a slurpee, that doesn't mean they have diabetes. Given the public perception that diabetes is a lifestyle disease caused by eating poorly and being a couch potato, some people can react to a suggestion that they have diabetes in a similar way to an accusation that they are an axe murderer. My wife had an A1c of 5.7% and I told her that that basically meant she has diabetes and she didn't talk to me for days. So I often just comment, "when I was diagnosed with diabetes, I had an unquenchable thirst and I had to visit the bathroom so much I had to get a frequent flusher card" (even though that isn't actually how I was diagnosed.

I would tell. The sooner she checks it, the better. Even though my friends and google told me about possibility, i’ve prolonged visit to te doctor with I week. Could get into koma or something. It all went very bad very fast.

As a side note to the medication thing, anyone taking an antihistamine for seasonal allergies right now may be thirsty and tired. I'm taking more allergy medication than I usually do (I take it year-round, but more in the spring and fall than other times), and it's making me tired and sometimes very thirsty, which makes me think I'm high all the time.

I would probably mention something, unless it was my first or second time meeting someone or otherwise a stranger. I'd probably mention it in a lighthearted way, but putting the possibility in their head gives them the choice of whether they want to act on it or not.

I had to stop Allegra, which seems to be the only one that kinda worked, because it made me SO thirsty and overall dry that I couldn't handle it. However, I don't think she was taking any allergy meds.

As someone currently suffering plenty from the effects, I say they'll get over any trauma from the polite suggestion that they should rule out such a potentially dangerous but probably manageable condition.

Allegra is the only one I haven't tried yet. So far this year I've tried Reactine (Zyrtec), Claritin, and am currently trying Aerius. Plus prescription eye drops and nasal spray. My allergies are tolerable most of the time with this regimen, but still explode if I'm around something I'm allergic to, like dogs or dust. The side effects drive me nuts, but if I don't take something my allergies are so bad that I can't function at all, so I put up with them. I'm at the point (after a few years of recommendations from my doctor) that I'm willing to give allergy shots a try.

Kind of off-topic, but I just had to rant. :)

I hope your friend/acquaintance is okay! I've had friends recommend that they are super thristy and I always mention that they should get tested for diabetes. Considering how easy it is to test for, and how serious it can get if not properly treated, it's better to be safe than sorry (so far, no one has ever actually had diabetes).

I usually start by saying I am a type 1 diabetic and have been for many years. I say that because of this I tend to notice when folks are drinking a lot of water. I admit that I when I was diagnosed I was so thirsty and so I always comment to people who use a water cooler that if they haven't recently they might ask their doctor about being tested for high blood sugar.

i remark that I know I am know I am hyper sometimes and I don't know for sure of course, but I sure wish someone had told me that when I was visiting the water stand constantly I should get tested.

I try to go easy and enough to ease my mind. Sometimes it works other times not. But in 37 years I have never been punched so I count that a good day. Going easy with some humor if I can seems to be the best way to work telling someone.

I think I would say something. I would temper the remark to be positive and supportive, but having been there, done that, it seems to me that this person is suffering a bit. It would be better for the person to know, or at least realize that there may be something more than the April heat (which I have yet to experience this year) and we should all rejoice if there is nothing more than allergies, and welcome this person to the club, if there is. Support is a whole lot better than denial.

I bring up the signs of diabetes every time. I take it to the place where the person will either get an A1c test or will borrow one of my testers and some strips and do it both fasting and after a meal for the height of the BG.
I have never had a person not have diabetes yet.