Our Dexcom G6 experiences

Sadly, that’s a refrain mentioned ad infinitum on the Facebook group, Dexcom G6. Scary, as my g5 works great and from talking to Dexcom support, I might get “stuck” with the G6 in about a year (I’m on Medicare). I hope his comment proves to be incorrect, and I’m able to stay on the G5 for another 3 years (or whenever the warranty on the receiver has expired–can’t remember if it’s a 3 or 4 year warranty for Medicare patients)

Out of 6 sensor uses with the G6 we finally had one fail on Saturday that was 5 days old. When we replaced it I think we hit a vein or something on our daughter because blood poured out like a fountain and soaked the new sensor. Got on the phone with Dexcom, waited 28 minutes and told them the issue. I needed two sensors, one for the failed one and another for the one that was blood soaked. They said they were not on back order and sent it out.

Have no idea what happened with the one where she bled. That has never happened before and it was in an area we have used before (only on her abdomen). Anyone else ever have this happen? This was 5 or 6 days ago and she has a pretty good sized bruise on the area.

Mine wasn’t a “gusher”, but the tape turned that horrible rust color. I left it in for the full 10 days, and didn’t have any accuracy issues. It looked pretty gnarly when I took it off, but it cleaned up in a few days. But, as I said, not a gusher, just a sprinkler lol. Normally, my sites don’t start gushing until I remove them, but I guess pumps and cgm work completely differently.

I have had gushers with my OmniPod. Don’t remember a gusher with my dex. Recently I switched to arm placement for my dex. Much better. Highly recommend.

I’m thinking that Medicare could simply add the Dexcom G6 model to their approved list and let the beneficiaries choose which to use. There are many examples of Medicare approving more than one model of a product line.

I’m still running happily on the G4 lucky to be covered under a supplemental insurance policy I’m eligible for due to my ex-employer.

Not with the G6, but had my first completely failed G5 sensor due to blood a little bit ago. At more than 10 days ago, I’ve still got a significant bruise.

I think that Dexcom has had quality control issues with the G6. The majority of the first batch of sensors that I received all failed–they read “extremely low” when I wasn’t low at all. Now, with the replacement sensors I have received, I am having much more luck. In fact, really accurate readings! And of course, the G6 is much easier to insert.

That is good news thanks

Hi I am a parent of a 6yo T1. Kiddo is very lean and only wears his sensors on his stomach, near his belly button.

I just joined this forum to comment on the G6 thread. We switched from G5 to G6 about a month ago and our first (and only) transmitter just died. After a half hour on hold with Dexcom, we are getting a new one and sending the dead one back. I’m really annoyed that our supplier didn’t send us 2 transmitters.

Our first lasted 7 days w/o skin-tac before falling off. The second lasted 10 days with skin-tac, but the reliability dropped off around day 7-8. And the third lasted 8 days before the transmitter bit it.

We are in the middle of our 2 weeks of homework, logging ALL the data, so that we can get him a pump and the timing of this is incredibly inconvenient.

So frustrating! I’ve had a similar experience with my 4 yo. We’ve had 2 out of 10 or so that have lasted 10 days… but not without sensor errors and false readings, mostly overnight. A couple have fallen off, but mostly we get sensor errors around day 4 or 5 and at least 2 of them have failed completely. Lots of Signal Lost alerts -again, mostly at night. The most recent sensor is pretty accurate during the day, but night one it started giving us urgent low readings… but a finger stick shows us he’s way high… for example, just a few minutes ago his CGM said he was 68, but a finger stick confirmed he was 268! (My husband treated him initially without a finger stick.) dexcom has been great in replacing them, but I’m so tired of calling them every few days! And his dr’s office keeps telling us to trust it. It’s impossible!! We tried his belly at first and now his arm. It seemed to work better at first, but now I’m at a loss again. He’s not laying on it at night, everything is connected properly-believe me, I’ve checked and triple checked. I think we’re going to have to stop this sensor tomorrow and try another area. He doesn’t have much body fat, so I’m wondering if that could be an issue??

That is correct. I’ve noticed all sensors in a box have the same code.

Hitting a blood vessel with a sub-q injection is exceedingly rare but it does happen.

Over the past 55 years, I’ve had 2 or 3 instances where a subcutaneous insulin injection landed me in the hospital, simply due to the entire dose of insulin unknowingly entering my blood stream

There’s nothing to stop you doing that–Dexcom is a standalone system–but there’s no way for it to connect to a Medtronic pump, so any kind of integration including automode will not be an option. For my part, after I gave up on the automode thing I went back to using Dexcom G5, as I had done for several years with my other Medtronic pumps. The one question I did have was whether there would be a coverage issue in switching back and forth, but at least in my case, BCBSMA, the insurance carrier doesn’t care one way or t’other. The prescription is for a CGM, but they don’t care which one you order when you’re due for refills.

Oh goodness, We just had almost this exact scenario last night with a sensor that was put on in the morning. 3am the thing is beeping that he’s 64, hubs gets him a juice first then checks with a finger stick he’s 168. Then the sensor kept asking for calibration every 15 min. On the phone with dexcom at 4am and they said we probably need to find a different site since the kid doesn’t have any fat on him.

I was wondering that also in terms of the 670g and the cgm.

Sounds like your insurance carrier takes a very reasonable approach. Nice !!!

Yes, I gave up on Auto mode after only a month, and have gotten tired of being what my brother refers to as a beta-tester with the Medtronic sensors. Kaiser also doesn’t specify which pump or CGM system that you use, as long as it is approved by them. I had a G5 before the 670G, and I’ll be getting a G6 in a few weeks. My original G5 receiver was the older version, not the newer touchscreen one, so I would have had to replace it anyway.

And thanks to everyone for their information on the G6. One takeaway (among many) seems to be that you need some fatty tissue at the sensor site - good to know!