Our Dexcom G6 experiences

Microwaves/wireless phones/routers share the same frequencies

the fact they went out and came back at the same time points to one of these devices

Concurred with @Zita findings of Dexcom G6 Issues: 1) Fake drops and 2) Signal losses and not sure about 3) …” not work properly past day 7.” I have no prior experiences in CGMs and in my 5th G6 sensors only. However, I would like offer my observations of G6 experience:

• Sensor fall out: 4 sensors are okay for 10 days and only 1 sensor fall out in the 9th day. This sensor was placed in my right arm with limited flat area for the applicator. Dexcom sent a replacement sensor and 10x overlay patches.

• Signal loss: It happen on my iPhone, but not on the Dexcom Receiver. Recently, I charged iPhone battery fully in the afternoon, no more signal loss on my iPhone so far. Need to observe more to conclude. Dexcom sent a replacement sensor.

• Accuracy: Without calibration, the errors are around +/-5% (to 10%) around 100s, +/-20% in 180+ or 70- whether the sensor is attached at the arm or abdomen. With calibration, +/-5% in the entire range when my 5th sensor is attached at the abdomen. Need to observe more to conclude. Dexcom G6 official instruction is no calibration required if the sensor code is used. Otherwise, two daily calibrations are required.

• Sensor location: Transmitter is warmer at the abdomen area. Body fluid temperature “should” be a variable with respect to the sensor’s accuracy. Not sure what does it measure and can’t comment it. Need more observations at different sites to conclude.

• Preparation of the sensor site: I removed the old sensor, then take shower, rub with alcohol pad, and wait for drying before using the applicator. Incidentally, the procedure satisfies the 10 minutes waiting between ending a session and starting a new one.

If we share our G6 experiences in reasonable details, we may find the best way to use G6 sensor.

1 Like

I’m on my 3rd G6 sensor.

Sensor #1-applied to the right side of my abdomen, no issues other than an initial read in the 40s, I didn’t feel low at all so I checked with the meter and it was in the low 100s. Entered a calibration which it accepted and it performed within 5-10% the entire 10 days.

Sensor #2-applied to the left side of my abdomen, initial reading in the 40s which I knew was incorrect. Tried to enter calibration as I did with Sensor #1, but the calibration was rejected and the app (I use an iPhone) kept asking for repeated calibrations. I called tech support which I found to be quite friendly and easy to chat with. I mentioned the initial reading in the 40s and he said it was common and the best thing was to leave it alone for 30-60 minutes and then try a calibration reading. As it was nearing my bedtime the tech said I could start a new sensor or just wait it out if I felt comfortable-since I rarely go low at night I decided to just go to sleep and see what it was doing in the morning. I woke up and the sensor working, verified with the meter and the sensor was within 5 points of the meter so it was good. The tech did send me out a replacement sensor “just in case” which I appreciated. I did experience a few compression lows over the 10 days, but that appears to be related to where I placed the sensor and how I sleep.

Sensor #3-applied to the right side of my abdomen. Initial reading again in the 40s. This time I left it alone and went about my business. Checked it an hour later and it seemed to be working fine, verified with my meter and it was again within 5 points.

Skin prep-I wash the site with soap, warm water, and a washcloth being sure to give it a good scrub, dry completely, swab with an alcohol wipe, dry, and then apply the sensor. I’ve personally only experienced very minor peeling on the immediate edge during the last couple of days of wear which is expected.

1 Like

It happened again last week. Had to remove the sensor then put on a new one on the other side. That is 2 in a 2 month period where she bled out when the sensor was attached. Luckily replacements arrived yesterday.

Mike

2 Likes

Sorry if this is something I should find via search, but are “compression lows” an issue only with G5 and/or G6? I have had my G4 for many years now (wearing sensor on stomach) and I’ve never encountered this.

1 Like

Appears different person by person. We have used Dexcom Seven Plus, G4, G5 and now G6.

I have seen a few compression lows in that time. Probably less than five combined. For some people it seems a more significant issue.

1 Like

Hi all. I’m still on G5 but received my 6-month G6 batch two days ago, waiting for the G5 to expire. Questions to those having problems with failures:

• Do any of you use backside of upper arms for sensor insertions?
  • If you are using skintac or similar, do you leave a clean spot where the actual sensor thread is penetrating the skin or do you let it go through the skintac?

Hi @BK1112 -

I’m using G5’s and have no plans to upgrade to G6.

I’ve always had best results with sensors on arms (side as shown below). This shot is of a G5 that has been on me for nearly 6 weeks.

When I install a new sensor, it’s a 6 step process. It might seem like a lot of work, but this way I only use a sensor per month or six weeks (some don’t last as long as others):

First, cut and trim a section of Opsite, and cut a tiny window in it for sensor thread (sensor thread will penetrate Opsite, however I have better luck with a small window cut into it). I mark the window on the Opsite film with pen so I’ll know where to put Dexcom sensor.

Second, clean entire arm area with alcohol and allow to dry.

Third, wipe entire arm area with Skin Tac and allow 30-60 seconds drying time.

Four, peel and apply Opsite to Skin-Tac’d arm.

Five, prior to peeling Dexcom protectant off sensor, mark the “wire” location with sharpie pen. Wipe Opsite with more SkinTac and allow to get tacky.

Six - apply Dexcom sensor and insert G5 transmitter - start “warmup”

If the image above looks sketchy, consider that G5 sensor had been installed and still working after six weeks

3 Likes

My goodness, 6 weeks for you, and I almost never get a sensor to function past the 11th day.

That leads me to a question: do you often get sick with colds, flu, etc? I rarely get sick, so I’m wondering out loud if the reason I get far fewer days out of sensors is because my immune system is relatively stronger than those who can wear sensors much longer. If you also rarely get sick, I would like someone to say what they think is the cause of such difference in viable wearing times.

1 Like

@Jimi63, @Dave44

When we were on the G4/G5 sensors, we would quite regularly get 12~13 days from the sensor.

Over time this became quite evident that this is not related to taping but it is the data itself that stops being accurate.

So along the same lines of Dave’s questions, I have also wondered why the huge difference from one person to the next in terms of sensor lifetime once the “taping issue” has been discounted or otherwise accounted for.

and just to be clear, my sensors never get loose. They sometimes will have loose EDGES, which I’ll secure with some Skin Tac, but at no time has a sensor itself ever become loose–something I couldn’t say about those awful Enlites, no matter how I attempted to secure them.

@Tim35 - That’s a great question, because I too generally used to get only about 2 weeks out of a Dexcom sensor before the readings became highly dubious. (For 2.5 years I used a G4 transmitter with same G4/G5 sensor, attached to my Animas Vibe pump).

I switched to the G5 Tx about 5 months ago (doesn’t see my pump, I used iPhone Dexcom app), and immediately got what I felt was significantly more reliable data. I say this knowing full well the sensor and the data are the same, the only practical difference is the G4 used RF while the G5 uses Bluetooth.

But there you have it. I’m not an alien - perhaps the only thing thats different in me is that for nearly 5 months I’ve been on an ultra-low carb (now) keto diet, and perhaps my interstitial (cellular) fluids are slightly more alkaline than carb eaters. Whether the acidity or alkalinity of my cellular fluids are less corrosive on the sensor wire, I have no idea.

I do know I calibrate my CGM and finger prick check my blood glucose regularly, and if my sugars are running flatline, CGM is within 0.2 mmol/L of my meter.

Actually not quite.

There is another difference.

The algorithm which turns the raw data into actual BG numbers we see.

It is my understanding that the Animas Vibe G4 uses the older/original Dexcom G4 algorithm. That algorithm was updated such that newer Dexcom Receivers and updated Dexcom Receivers were running the SW505 algorithm. However unless I am mistaken (always possible) the Animas Vibe G4 never received the updated algorithm.

The SW505 actually was a nice improvement. Same G4/G5 sensor but improved SW505 algorithm.

1 Like

Dave, I rarely get sick, which might at first glance seem odd because I am immunosuppressed.

In the late 80’s I only had a single AI issue (T1D), but was diagnosed with a 2nd (Multi-focal motor neuropathy). My endo at the time tried his best to call it a diabetic neuropathy, but the 4 neurologists I consulted all concluded it had nothing to do with diabetes (it’s a motor neuron issue, not sensory).

I receive IVgG (gamma globulin) infusions approx 55 x’s a year, which seems to help me fight off all the regular stuff people get.

Fast forward another 20 years and I was dx’d with SLE (lupus), and have been on immunosuppressants ever since. My white count is perpetually low as a result of chemotherapy gone bad while first trying to solve the neuropathy issue (prior to clinical use of Gamma Globulin in Canada).

That’s my story … :smiley:

1 Like

Sorry to hear about so many health problems, Jim. Did you receive a CSF Protein test for that dx to be made re: MFMN?

1 Like

@Dave44 - Once the doc’s got a hold of me they threw every conceivable test known to man at me. Ultimately I ended up at Mayo in Rochester (spent nearly a month there over 2 visits).

I had a couple of spinal taps, and then the gold standard, nerve biopsies. It put the “diabetic neuropathy” theory to bed.

MMN is very similar to CIDP, but doesn’t include the sensory deficits.

Nonetheless, Gamma Globulin dampens my immune system from attacking my myelin, as well as keeps me healthy :slight_smile:

dang. I think of MS when I see myelin mentioned.

1 Like

Wow Jim! I know Calgarians are a thrifty bunch - I’m a native Calgarian, now living in the states. But this takes the cake. Congrats on getting such good mileage on a sensor. We have to find ways to save, eh?

1 Like

@Goldfish - I’m saving my cash for all the other meds I pay for out of pocket. :blush:

This six week stint is about 2 longer than sensors usually last, and has saved me $425 :star_struck:

I like sticking it to the (Dexcom) man, especially when I know that before long they’ll phase out the G5’s and our only choice will be shorting lived sensors like G6 and G7

First ever G6 reading: 120. Finger stick: 119. Very promising.

2 Likes