Our Pup.....A memory

This memory from 2014 just popped up in my FB memory page…here is what I wrote then and now:

Here is a bittersweet memory from two years ago. I have lovely memories of her presence in my life when I was learning to cope and my narrow emotional arc swung between rage and despair…That last sentence from 2 years ago is certainly true for me now more than ever…

“I loved this woman. She was a tireless advocate for the Diabetes Community, both in real time and online. She understood the importance of the DOC (diabetes online community) as a vital support system for sharing experience and knowledge about/with this diabolically Whimsical Scourge that is all about Self-management. Her cancer came back with a vengeance and she never woke up after stroking during an exploratory surgery. But her family was around her as she drifted away in hospice. We all just found out today and are still rather stunned. She is pictured with Manny Hernandez, our beloved founder at TuDiabetes…Her kindness and humor will echo in my heart for years…Blessings on us all. And as Manny said: call someone you love—Now—don’t put it off…”

5 Likes

I couldn’t isolate the photo to move it here. But here is one of her (the redhead) with Manny and others ( who I think you might recognize, even if you are new here)…Uploading…

It’s not happening. I’ll try again tomorrow. Or perhaps others can get a photo to appear. I just want to honor this beautiful soul and some of our newer members won’t know her…The problem is comcast, I’m sure. Or my computer—love/hate!

@Stoner just posted a picture of a spaghetti squash yesterday and said how we all miss her.
She pops into my head in the weirdest moments, when i heard “hallelujah” played on the main square in prague, when i ate a cinnabon in vienna, or just randomly, often when i see someone of you guys here.
She was an extraordinary woman who always put others first. She was the first person i met here and has thaught me and so many others so much about happiness and acceptance.
Dare to be magnificent!

4 Likes

If there was ever a moment I believed in angels, it would be right now. How ironic that Trip and I were talking about spaghetti squash last night and we are at the eve of her anniversary passing. She was the epitome of what this community stands for. I try every day to live as she would.

I still miss you and wish you were here Pup.

Sarah :four_leaf_clover:

5 Likes

Has it really been 2 years? Sometimes it seems like yesterday. She was the heart and soul of this community. The love she shared with us will be here forever. but I miss her terribly sometimes.

8 Likes

Just the other day I came upon some posts of Barb’s in older threads. She impacted so many people in such a positive way, including myself. It’s been two years since her passing, but I still feel her influence as if she were just here, and am better for it.

5 Likes

There is seldom a day that she is not in my thoughts, and though many of those moments are sad, some are . . . the opposite. Sometimes I grin thinking of the snarky (and accurate) comments she would be certain to offer up in response to some of the situations we’ve encountered in the time since she left us.

4 Likes

The anniversary of her passing brings to the surface a flood memories hiding just below. It brings sadness at the loss but it does not diminish the fact that these are good memories of an outstanding person. I choose to put away my own selfish sadness and remember the wonder that was Barbara, as I remember my friend my face is covered with a huge smile because these are pleasant thoughts.

5 Likes

It has been a tough day of many remembrances of Barbara. I almost thought when I signed in this evening she would have a cause, project, or idea, waiting for me. (It is not too late.) I, like all of us who commented here, miss her a great deal ,

rick

1 Like

from what i can tell, she was a great person, & it hard to find people like that,.

1 Like

sigh…big bear HUG everyone

5 Likes

Two years… So crazy.

I will never forget how she opened up her home and her family to me, as if fhey were mine. Such beautiful people with a heart of gold: like her.

Miss you, BARBARA!

3 Likes

I’m a little late but I’m going to light a candle for Pup. When I joined Tu Diabetes, Pup was on the chat a lot. I was fascinated by her empathy and generosity speaking without judgement to so many people. She had a great influence on many and I know that I will remember her for this kindness and altruism always.

2 Likes

so today, i had to light a candle for her, i did not know her, but anyone that, great of a person, will get one, no matter what,.

i join tud, after she pass away, but i can tell, she was a great person,.

1 Like

@erice and @Mari5…I’m happy that you are thinking of her with us all!..Blessings…

1 Like

You know, Stoner, my friend,—that’s what I have been wanting— a great big mass bear hug of TuD members. Pup thought of each and every one of us as HER family member. Thanks for the perfect image!..And Blessings…

7 Likes

We all are a better person for knowing her and a piece of her lives in each of our soul that knew her. We each spread a little of her love on this site as we support each other. It is amazing how she was able to touch each of us in her special way.

bear HUG again

1 Like

RIp Barbara. We would all be lucky to have touched a hundredth as many people as she did here on Tud.

2 Likes

I posted this memory on both my Facebook page and Barbara’s on January 24, 2014:

“For Barbara Bander Bancroft (10/31/50–1/28/14)… I am greatly enjoying your meet-up photos. You and I having a meet-up, complete with our dogs, was never in the cards, but I have a fantasy-meet-up in mind. Here goes: you and I are sitting at a patio table sipping white wine (or do you prefer martinis?) with our white cheddar cheese, watching our dogs play tag. Our 13-year olds, Chloe and Aggie, stop and touch noses now and again. I have this meet-up firmly in mind, and will always smile when I think of it! Peace, my friend. Trudy”

1 Like