Over-correcting highs!

You’ll be continually astonished at the things we’re not told & some of the things were are told that are incorrect. We could all write a book on what we should have been told:)

You want to take your rapid acting for meals at the same time, just in two injections when you take a higher doses.

You can take Lantus all in one injection because it’s slow acting so absorption rate isn’t a problem. For rapid acting, unpredictable absorption is a problem.

I am amazed just in the two months since my diagnosis how much I’ve learned not from my endo, but from here! I will remember to do that! Does it have to be in the same vicinity? Like do one part in one leg and the other in the other leg?

Gerri, how effective is this, as people on the pump have their pumps in the same spot for 3 days. There are times i go out for dinner at eat a lot and have to do a larger dose of insulin then i normally would.

Now this is amazing! Just a couple of weeks ago, I learned from here, that your meal-time bolus does not have to be just for meal-times! It can be used to bring you down post-parendally, which can also benefit a good A1c. As someone posted here, there are so many things that aren’t told to you by your doctor. I was worried that I was over using may fast acting insulin and that I was SUPPOSE to take it ONLY for meal-time. NOT SO!!! I had a doctor’s appointment last week and found out that I could do this (after learning it here).

I think I over-corrected yesterday and dropped to a 53. I felt horrible, but I would rather be low than high. Thank you guys for sharing your experiences. I learn something every day!

Kristin,

It’s supposed to more effective than taking a large dose in the same place at once for better absorption at a predictable rate. One problem with the pump is that people build up scar tissue more easily than those on MDIs.

Sorry…my terminology was off…that is what I meant to say…my bad.

Dear Kenneth.

250+ should be corrected. Don’t forget the insulin that you have already injected and that is still active. If you tend to go overboard try injecting just 2/3 of what you think you need. I am a type how knows what and lows are not a big issue because of very high insulin resistance that might not be true for you so go easy.

Thanks so much.

Daily

Hi Gerri–I never knew that swings from high to low are very damaging on mirco blood vessels…? I really don’t know much about how the diabetes damages happend. I also correct quite often, also I get busy during the day and forget to eat…which causes lows. I was always under the impression that lows didn’t really do as much damage as highs, have I been wrong with this thinking? Thanks for the posting, any other advise would be greatly appreciated!

The time frame is about 3-4 hours but everyone is different. If you are on a pump, if you are on the over weight side
and where you do your injections and do you rotate enough. If a person favors one area this is prone to injury and changes absorption. There are many factors but I don’t want to scare the hell out of you.
This is the rule that works for me and I have done the over correcting issue many times.
Get your correction does verified and I mean keep a log if you are high say 200
but you ate less then an hour ago and you figure your sliding scale give your check 90 minutes. Test before you eat and check 90 mins after. If you are high less then 200 you can also do some exercise in place of the correction, you would be surprised what it can do just make sure you drink water to flush your kidneys, If you are higher then 250 within a day you really need help in your carb count and dosage.

What insulin’s are you on Lantus and humalog?

A1C 5.5 is way low even by Joslin Standards and kind of dangerous but A1C are totally thrown out the door if you don’t keep a log of what your blood sugar ranges are to average it out. The standard for non diabetics is between 4 to 6%
I am sure you all know that one or 2 low BS’s change the whole % scheme.
If you can get that number and not have EMT’s visit, Dave how often do you both check your BS schedule or are you both on continuous glucose monitors?

An A1c of 5.5 isn’t way low as long as the person isn’t having severe, frequent lows. It is not at all dangerous! The closer to normal an A1c is, the better. If you’re referencing the ACCORD study that stated a lower A1c is risky, that study was extremely flawed.

Over 3 months, one or two lows don’t hugely effect A1c results.

Normal BG for a non-diabetic person is not between 4-6. Normal BG is 4.6-4.9. A1c of 6.0 is an average BG is 126. Nothing normal about that:)

same with me. on needles i was running out of spots to put them. on the pump my skin seems to be great and no scar tissue has built up!

Have you ever tried Apidra?

Im so baad with over bolusing and correcting!
Like when im super high and have to give a shot i also correct and always end up going low! i don’t think and just do it because im so use to it!

I am surprised. I thought the shorter tail was an advantage.

The trick (like always) is NOT being too agressive, overly agressive correcting highs OR lows. We all want to suck down the ENTIRE bottle of soda, the whole bag of jelly beans, by instinct, pure simple hardwiring. Our brain, our body knows we’re in serious trouble on some level, so TO STAY ALIVE we eat, and drink it all.

The same way IMHO we all want to crush all highs back into the stone age, back into “obedience”, compliance with all our efforts and severe vigilence.

Its very natural to want to do that… IMHE.

To stop our sugar being a ~bouncey ball in the dryer routine~… we have to consciously, actively not be that agressive. No idea what YOUR correction might be for 250 or higher (that IS NOT high IMO-fwiw) but in the generic, some correction is merited, right?

Consider reducing what your correction dose is by a couple units. Whatever you’ve been using CUT BACK. Reducing a high is no good, if doing so guarantees that a low will happen… because you’re using too much insulin to correct it.

BG does not drop all by itself without help… high enough and insulin is necessary to achieve it.

I guess I have the opposite problem. My meal boluses typically work great provided I calculate properly and inject at least 15-20 minutes before eating. Correction boluses don’t seem to work very well…that or my ratio differs greatly for a correction. Any one else experience this? For example, lets say I’m 300 2hrs post, granted I still have some of the meal bolus still in my system, but a correction bolus of 2-4u does not appear to do anything. Any suggestions (other than not going high in the first place)?

You’re missing the point Dave, But I’ll digress for you…

In my opinion, in my experience no, 250 is certainly not “desired”/desirable, but no. 250 is not remotely high, not in relative terms. 300, 350, 400, 450, 500, 550 you bet… but 250 naaaah. not a prayer.

250 would barely make me squirm, or frankly hold my attention for more than a couple units/seconds. Would it for you ?