Parody of Coca-Cola song about the effects of sugary drinks and diabetes

2 Likes

This makes me extremely uncomfortable. It sends the message that sugar leads to obesity, which is pretty much unchallengeable. But it also reinforces the entrenched stereotypes that it leads to diabetes, and by implication that diabetes is self-induced, both of which are highly doubtful (to put it politely) and becoming more so all the time.

So one good message and one awful one, intertwined and inseparable. On balance we would have been better off without this.

2 Likes

I am uncomfortable and very unhappy.

Sarah :four_leaf_clover:

1 Like

When I opened it I was shocked to see it. It definitely wasn’t what I expected. I don’t understand how the producer of the piece illogically assumes that diet drinks = diabetes. There are other factors involved besides one specific dietary item. It’s a flawed logic.

I know they think they are being cute but still, it’s as Sarah and David said uncomfortable and disturbing.

Note: I couldn’t type all this when I posted the video last night because I was on my smartphone–today I’m on my desktop computer. So I’m able to vent (albeit late).

Whew @Kate25 I thought you were endorsing the video. That would have been a problem. :wink:

Sarah :four_leaf_clover:

Yeah. The message about obesity is a good one, but the other is damaging. There are enough other voices sounding the trumpet about obesity, heaven knows. We don’t need this.

No…definitely not. I’ve got to get a bigger smartphone…I can’t type anything (text, e-mail, post) on my little Samsung 3–screen’s too tiny, I can’t see clearly anymore. A friend had sent it to me and she was like, “whaaat?”

Hopefully there will be enough noise in the D-community to have some backlash. If the producer had left it at tooth decay it would have been o.k. but not cool dragging us into the mix. Don’t talk about something you don’t know.

1 Like