Part of the 3%

Today has been beautiful all around. I had to wake up early to get to an endocrinologist appointment. Getting up early wasn't altogether fun, but everything since then has been roses.

I had a few minutes before I had to run out the door so I decided to check my e-mail. I'm glad I did because I got a notice that my lab results were available to view. I knew I was going to get those same results at my endo visit but decided it would be nice to know ahead of time so I could have any questions ready.

I made note of three things I saw in my very quick overview of the labs:

1. My bad cholesterol has gone up 24 points despite a good diet and meds.

2. My A1c dropped from 10 down to 8! I literally bounced for joy when I saw this. 8 is still high, but in the 27 years I have been type 1, an A1c of 8 is the lowest it has ever been.

3. I noticed the female hormone tests were all within normal range, but the male hormone tests didn't tell me whether they were good, bad, or what. I would have to wait and see what the doc deciphered from them. I had these labs done to discover whether or not I have PCOS (polycystic ovary syndrome).

At the endocrinologist office I had an interesting and overall pleasant visit. I was surprised and amused when the nurse told me they no longer can check my blood sugar in-house because my insurance no longer covers it. So if they check my blood at the office I have to pay out-of-pocket. I wanted to say something like, "That is so dumb.", but instead I said something to the tune of, "That's odd.". I don't need to have my blood checked at the office anyway because I always check it just before I go in. The nurse took my glucose meter and CGM to download my readings and then brought them back to me.

The diabetes educator I am to normally meet with at these appointments is currently out on maternity leave, so today I got to meet with an endocrinologist. She was very kind, pleasant, attentive, knowledgeable, and down to earth. She talked to me a bit about my CGM. She knew from my file that I had just got it and so asked me if I was comfortable with my training and did I have any questions? I am very comfortable and have no questions at this time. We discussed my diet and insulin regimen and then moved on to my lab results.

I told her I had looked them over quickly this morning and noticed my cholesterol was up. We talked about it a bit and she said since I am on a low carb/high protein diet I should watch what kind of meats I am eating. Maybe cut down on the red meat and make sure to eat more poultry and fish. I agreed to try it out.

I pointed out my A1c has dropped and she was very happy to see this. We both agreed the CGM should help even more.

I knew she knew from her file notes what was going on about the possibility of PCOS but I explained to her anyway what the diabetes educator and I had discussed at my last visit. She said that the lab results make it fairly obvious that I do have PCOS but because these results can also indicate a couple other endocrine issues she needs me to have two more tests done to verify PCOS.

"Once you have these other tests done, I'll prescribe Metformin for you..." She was worried about the fact that Metformin has a high probability of bursting me into fertility. I told her I have no desire to get pregnant and don't mind going on birth control. We both agreed that I am in no state of health to be popping out babies. She said she would prescribe birth control at the same time as the Metformin. This all assuming the test would verify that I do have PCOS.

"When were you diagnosed with type 1?" She asked as she was studying my lab results.

"1987."

"And do you recall what the antibodies result was?"

"I have no idea."

"Well you are antibody negative." She tilted her head a bit to indicate she thought this was kind of odd. "You are obviously producing no insulin."

I was a bit confused by what she was saying. But then she kind of shrugged it off and moved on.

She wrote three lab slips out for me. One for each of the two tests I need to verify PCOS. She explained I need to do them on separate days, both fasting. One of them I need to take a steroid for the night before. She prescribed the pill. The third slip was for my standard labs to be done in early June, before my next endo visit.

And that was the visit. She congratulated me on the lower A1c and, of course, encouraged me to keep up the good work.

When I got home I looked up negative antibodies in type 1's. All I could find for certain was that about 3% of type 1's are antibody negative.
http://youtu.be/hYeh7AnwbUY