Patchwork Quilt, Diabetes-Style

Upon noting that for the past couple days, CWD's Quilt for Life was on display in Washington, DC, I clicked over to the CWD site to find out more about the project. After finding out the technical specifications, I started wondering whether or not I could design a patchwork block based on diabetes. With blood glucose tests so common to all people with diabetes, and many glucometers being packaged in similar teardrop designs, I had an inspiration to work from.

I've posted .jpegs of two different sets of colors to work up the glucometer motif/module. I've not worked up the module in fabric yet (and I have some projects that have a bit higher priority), but for those of you who are willing to give my draft instructions a try...

The instructions below are for a single glucometer motif, finished size 4.5" x 6.5" to work into a 12.5" block 3 motifs wide x 2 motifs tall. I haven't done all that much with calculations for quilting, so my numbers may be a bit off, and some of the component modules may have more squaring-up wastage than you are used to.

Glucometer Quilt

12.5" x 12.5" Block = 3 units wide x 2 units tall

To make up into 12" finished blocks in a standard block-style patchwork quilt

Colors:

A = background (1/2 yd 45" fabric)

B = glucometer (1/2 yd 45" fabric)

C = display (1/2 yd 45" fabric)

D = buttons (1/4 yd 45" fabric)

E = strip (1 fat quarter)

Instructions for one glucometer unit, starting at the top/non-strip end of the glucometer

This is made up in four separate horizontal sections: the top area, the display area, the button area, and the strip area.

Top unit:

Cut 1 rectangle B 1.5" x 3"

Create 2 corner squares (diagonals) A/B, squared to 1.5" x 1.5"

• cut 1 square each A & B, 2" x 2"
  • stack the two squares, right sides together
  • Mark the diagonal on the lighter fabric
  • Sew 1/4" to each side of the marking (or if you prefer, cut along the diagonal and sew each pair of triangles separately)
  • If you've not done so already, cut along the marking
  • Press; square sides to 1.5" x 1.5" with the split along the true diagonal

SEW one square to each short side of rectangle, color-B sides together, to create a B-colored trapezoid

Display unit:

It's easy enough to make all six of these, for one block, at the same time -- unless each of your meters is a different color

• cut a rectangle of Fabric C, 3" wide x 15" long
  • cut 2 rectangles of fabric B, 1.25" wide x 15" long
  • sew each rectangle of color B to each long side of the color-C rectangle
  • Press; cut rectangles 4.5" wide x 2.5" high

SEW this unit to the bottom side of top unit (the side away from the background-colored triangles); press

Button unit:

Cut 2 rectangles C, 1.5" long x 1" wide

Create 2 center rectangles (diagonals) B/D, squared to 2" x 1.25"

• cut 1 rectangle each B & D, 3" x 1.5"
  • Sew 1/4" to each side of the marking
  • Cut along the marking
  • Press; square sides to 3" x 1.5", exactly on the diagonal

SEW the two two-colored rectangles to each other, the short sides of color D together; press

SEW the long sides of solid-color rectangles B to short sides of B/D unit; press

SEW the two-colored (B & D) side of the Button unit to the Display Unit; press

Strip Unit:

Cut 2 rectangles B 2.75" x 1.25"

Create 2 rectangles (diagonals) A/B 2.75" tall x 1.75" wide

• cut 1 rectangle each A & B, 4" x 2"
  • Sew 1/4" to each side of the marking
  • Cut along the marking
  • Press; square sides to 2.75" x 1.5", exactly on the diagonal

Create 1 center rectangle unit 2.75" tall x 1" wide

(If all your meters are the same color, it's easiest to make up six of these -- or all of them -- at the same time)

• cut 1 strip E 6" wide x 2.25" tall
  • cut 1 strip B 6" wide x 1.25" tall
  • sew the two strips, right-sides together, along the 6" sides
  • Press; cut into 1" wide strips

SEW the long B-colored sides of diagonal A/B rectangles to long sides of B rectangles; press

SEW the other long edges of the B rectangles to B:E strips, with the narrow "E" color at bottom of unit; press

SEW the B-colored-only side of the Strip unit to the Button unit; press.

In order to get the full impact of the "strip length", use the same fabric "E" for all of the meter modules, and arrange the rows of glucometers into groups of two, strip ends facing each other.

Again, these directions have not been tested -- I just figured I'd post the draft in case you're interested in trying this before I get a chance to try it myself.

dimensions for the rectangle on top and for the display unit were edited after trial-by-fabric, 10-05-08.