"Pay For A1C Performance" Survey

I just got this survey invite from Kelly Close at diaTribe (and also a TuDiabetes member) and thought I’d pass it along. It’s quite interesting.

As a diaTribe reader, I’m writing to invite you to take part in another of our online surveys. This 10 minute survey comes from an academic researcher who’s interested in finding ways to improve diabetes reimbursement, especially with regard to paying for performance.

“Pay for performance” is about paying doctors, clinics or even patients for better health results. It’s working quite well in the UK, and is starting to take off in the USA. We are excited to learn more.

If you’d like to help us out by taking this survey, please click on this link (or paste it into your browser).
www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=MUmzhU2nK1_2femTV51ttVDg_3d_3d

What are your thoughts on this type of incentives? Basically, bonuses to doctors, clinics and/or patients who meet or exceed their diabetes treatment goals (improved A1Cs, etc.)

I did that survey yesterday, and I think the subject it tricky. I actually think it would be beneficial to give the physicians an incentive, but not the patients.

First of all, I know for a fact that the Major hospital I go to re-vamped the pay structure for their doctors. They now get paid less, but receive a monetary bonus that correlates to how many patients they see in a day. This means they are literally rushing through people to earn their old salary. If they provided bonuses for A1c results for their patients, this could offset the time bonuses. I think it is the lack of time, trust and knowledge that hurts the treatment process. This might help both the patient and the doctor to have better outcomes.

Bonuses for the patients, seems a little unfair. I think everyone with a chronic disease WANTS the best health they can manage, regardless of a bonus. Sometimes frustration and attitude can hinder progress, but that is usually because of lack of information or direction. Improve that and most people work hard for health. Having said that, sometimes you can have the tightest control and work oh so hard and STILL not meet the a1c goal you had wanted. It then seems unfair to place extra pressure on the patient. This disease is hard enough on ourselves (especially in the guilt area), why add the extra stress.