People with a scandanavian/eastern european background more likely to have diabetic genes?

there is a theory that because the spread of the agiculutral revolution reached certain populations later, these populations have fewer adaptations to eating the relatively greater amount of carbs that were introduced with that revolution. could you tell me your background? do you have any Scandinavian or easter european blood? Thanks.

The difference is most profound in the case of T1:

Incidence of type 1 diabetes varies from 8 to 17 per 100,000 in Northern Europe and the US, with a high of about 35 per 100,000 in Scandinavia to a low of 1 per 100,000 in Japan and China.

I don't buy the theory having to do with carbs in diet, because T1 diabetes (without exogenous insulin) will kill you whether you eat carbs or not.

T1 is almost universally thought of as a genetic variation, not based on diet. Think red heads, I am a red head and that means I likely have some northern and central European ancestors.

Rick - I am also a red head! Or at least I was until my hair turned grey and started thinning!

There are some genetic variations that are closely tied to diet but maybe cause and effect could be either way. An example that runs exactly contrary to the geographic disparity in diabetes, is lactose intolerance. Very few Scandinavians are lactose intolerant, but many in Japan and China are.

All the same, neither T1 or T2 diabetes are "carbohydrate intolerance", and I think it's important that we fight that perception on every front.

before insulin, when did most type ones die? there is a theory about type 1- that it is an evolutionary adaptation to super cold temperatures. high blood sugar keeps the cells from freezing. maybe i should only ask my ethnic background question of type 2's.

I am 100% Swedish - the only other T1D, that I know of, in my family was one of my Grandfathers sisters.

T1 = auto immune disease. What we eat didn't do anything to our immune systems to trigger this. As for the evolutionary adaptation that's also utter trash as what kind of survival adaptation mutates us to kill us all off. And before we get the "only the strongest will survive" urmm no, only those who don't "adapt" this way would survive. It's not a survival adaptation.

Now interesting other studies include bovine flu, since statistics show that T1 diagnosis follows the same patterns as it increases and decreases. Does that mean we are all kissing too many cows and catching flu off them? Or is it just a statistical anomaly. Other studies show it's our own bodies not adapting to puberty correctly since the majority are diagnosed in there teens. Not all of us are so that's out.

Our problem is our T cells don't get turned off. The actually sub part of that is come CGHblahblah123 weird named thing which sounds like something NASA uses to name distant stars they ran out of names for, which is our big issue along with it's minions (think last I heard they identified 12 so far about a year ago but know there are more). Now what's stopping our bodies from turning these off in that first place? well that goes back the bovine flu and other animal diseases which wouldn't normally effect us. Throw in some human based trigger, another disease/stress/shock or something which causes the initial problem and we're like we are. And yes this has been silly level over simplified.

"As for the evolutionary adaptation that's also utter trash as what kind of survival adaptation mutates us to kill us all off." an adaptation has to allow for reproduction, not for long life. if individuals were dying because of a sudden shift to freezing temperatures, then those individuals who had a mutation allowing for hyperglycemia might survive to bear children, as their high blood sugar would act like anti-freeze. the genes for type 1 don't kill you off as they were passed down some how.

"Not all of us are so that's out." there could be many reasons for the onset of type 1. one reason doesn't have to cover all cases.

No one knows for certain the trigger/s for type 1. But there are theories that it is an environmental trigger. Maybe the common cold, maybe a wheat germ. Maybe all of it. Maybe none of it. We do know it is an autoimmune issue for some reason the autoimmune system goes into hyper drive and targets the beta cells in the pancreas.

This process is also identified as the one which causes Rheumatoid Arthritis and several other diseases. I have 3 autoimmune related diseases. My goal to exit the world with 5. I am looking diligently to find two more. Any tips and some thing I can add? .......rick

"an adaptation has to allow for reproduction, not for long life" that's why it attacks many before they can even reproduce.
Changes in diet hasn't shown any link to type one. The whole "anti-freeze" thing is quiet frankly unfounded and there is no data to back it up at all. There is no reason why for it to be good for the body to adapt to kill us, it isn't advantageous at all, and that's what the natural result of this is unless it's treated with insulin.

Here's a few links well worth a read:
http://diabetes.diabetesjournals.org/content/57/11/2863.full
http://www.joslin.org/diabetes-research/triggers.html
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/10/131022091721.htm

Anyhow, in brief they are working on the list of T-cells which contribute to becoming Type 1. So far the lists pretty big and I'm probably missing many of the latest ones found at: anti-CD3-anti-CD28, FOXP3, CD4+CD127(lo/-), CD4+CD127(lo/-)CD25+, FOXP3+, CD45RO+, CD45RA+. Once this list is complete the end result will be that it'll give the ability to vaccinate against becoming Type 1, or so's the great theory once they know exactly what they need to target.