Personal question

OK, this is kind of a personal question, but...

Do you keep emergency glucose in your bathroom?

The reason I ask is that a lot of people, when they are disoriented and feel sick make a bee-line for the bathroom. It's kind of unconscious programming to associate "I feel unwell" with "I need to go hide in the small room until I figure out what's going on with my body -- just in case..."

I realized the other day that I have emergency glucose ready to hand in my pack, in my car, in every room of the house -- except the one room I'm most likely to retreat to if I start to feel dizzy, queasy or light-headed.

I just put a couple of bottles of dex-4 liquid in there, wrapped up in a zip-loc bag, in a cabinet I can easily reach from the...ahem...seating. I'm not sure why I didn't do it sooner. I guess I don't like the idea of having "food" in the bathroom! But it would be just like me to wake in the night with a hypo, head to the bathroom to sort myself out, and end up passing out in the one room where there is no glucose.

No I don't have any in my bathroom, but I dont really have anything other than my purse and in my car. My purse has my baggie of jelly beans so places like work etc it is close by. But I think you are right the bathroom is kinda the first place you go when you dont feel well, wouldn't hurt to have some glucose tabs or some kinda quick acting source of glucose in there.

You make a really good point. I have a little bag of jelly beans on the edge of my whirlpool tub because I've dropped before from the hot water but that's it. I think I'll do as you've done and place liquid glucose within reach elsewhere in the bathroom too. Better safe than sorry.

One of my co-workers who does not have diabetes had a stroke at home alone about a year ago. She came to on the floor of her den and her cell phone was in her bedroom. She managed to drag herself quite a distance across the floor to retrieve her phone to call 911 for help. Ever since this happened, I try to carry my cell in my pocket when I'm home alone.

I don't, but it's a really good idea. I think I'll do that. Although, I tend to head for my bedroom when I'm not feeling well, but my bedroom is also right next to my bathroom.

When I was a teenager I had an incident where I went to unlock the bathroom door and the doorknob BROKE in my hand! I was stuck in there for hours. Luckily I was still living with my parents, and my dad was able to remove the doorknob and unlock the door, but I shudder to think of what would happen if I was living on my own at the time.

Never thought to keep glucose in the bathroom. Maybe it's the food in the bathroom thing. Have jelly beans stashed in my nightstand, desk, purse, car & kitchen.

I keep a small bottle of Coke in my bathroom.

Yes I keep glucose tablets in the bathroom off my bedroom. That's where I test BG during the night so they are on hand if I have a low BG.

I don't eat anything that's been in the bathroom. Same thing about shots, etc.

I never really thought about keeping any glucose in my bathroom. I have glucose tabs on my desk, and that seems to be the center of my home. I go by it or to it whenever I am there.

I don't keep any glucose in the bathroom, but maybe I'll consider putting a tetrapack of orange juice or something similar in the cabinet. I usually go to my bedroom when I don't feel well and I do have glucose and supplies in the dressing table and in my nightstand, too.

That said, a large proportion of people who die at home, alone, from a heart attack will be found in or near their bathrooms. Others may be found in their kitchens. This seems to be because heart attack often makes someone feel very thirsty and so they go to get a drink of water.

That's what made me think of it, Ann. How many people die of heart attack in the loo? It's a natural reaction to go to "the private place" -- either our bedrooms or the bathroom -- when suddenly feeling unwell. If there's potential gut stuff involved (nausea, dizziness, cramping) people head for porcelain.

I have a bunch of glucose and whatnot by my bed, but as I mentioned above, I didn't have anything in the bathroom. If I ever get a land line again (I've considered it, recently) I'll have a phone wired up in there, too. :0/

Mobility is of concern for me, too, as I get horrific muscle cramps sometimes when hypo and when the cramps hit, I can't really move from where ever I happened to be until they abate.

Phone lines in bathrooms are incredibly valuable for anyone who lives alone with chronic illness or who is having chemotherapy or other major procedures that produce disorientation, nausea or pain, for sure!

Of course, what I really want is to be able to say to the room in general, wherever I happen to be, "Computer: Summon help, please." or perhaps, "Computer: Teleport me to sick-bay, please." But until I get my starship credentials, I'll have to stick with mere 21st century technologies.

(Hmmm...not really a big Trekki. More of a Galaxy Quest girl. Better check my blood glucose...)

This is a really good idea. My master bathroon is across the house from the kitchen. If I were dropping quickly, a bottle of coke nearby could definitely make a difference. I've been known to stumble to the kitchen then look around in the pantry or fridge like ok what do I do now?

I have stockpiles pretty much everywhere