Playing It Safe

With the holidays just around the corner so many people seem to be stressing over that holiday dinner spread. Half of my family will be going away for Thanksgiving and half will be celebrating with J.D. and I. My oldest G'Daughter (age 15) was diagnosed with Type 1 just before school started this year. She has worked so hard at keeping her numbers where they need to be. I think we all can appreciate the hard work that sometimes takes. I am planning on a menu that will be easy on carbs for all of us. I, myself have battled with my numbers for a long long time. I was started out on diabetic pills that never did help me get my numbers where they needed to be. When I would ask about doing the insulin instead of the pills, the answer was usually that they don't like to put a person on insulin unless it is a last resort because it is such an interruption to a person's life. After six years ansd move, I finally found a doctor that thought insulin would benefit me, As I think about those years struggling with those pills and never able to get my numbers where they needed to be, I still can not understand how any doctor could view taking insulin shots as an interruption of my life. I quit smoking a year and a half ago and gained 30 pounds that I don't need to carry around. I have been given different drug for various reasons over the past three years that has stacked the weight on, as well. Try as I may, I just can't seem to get rid of it.

To make an already long story a little bit shorter… The bottom line is that I need to be watching what goes in my mouth too. When the family gets together for Thanksgiving and Christmas this year and food is so easy to pick at non stop, I am going to try my best to make a conscious effort to say no to the goodies and eat healthy.

Jo,this photo is so beautiful,it makes me want to eat fruits for a week!!!.Enjoy life with your family,I am sure you are going to prepare nice low CHO dishes.Happy thanks giving and all years to come my dear.