Please be my basal buddy

I’ve put off overnight basal rate testing. Can’t. Wake. Up.

Anyone else need to do some testing?

I need a basal buddy. Want to join me, long-distance, for this always useful insulin pumping ritual? I think it will be much more fun to know that someone, somewhere is waking up every 1-2 hours to poke a finger.

oh I can never do that, I have to do day time testing.

I have been a diabetic since 2003, and I have never heard of overnight basal rate testing…My endo usually has me check BS’s 7 times daily for a couple of days before appts. That’s it. What exactly is overnight basal rate testing, and how do you use those figures?

Overnight basal testing is used to see if your overnight basal amounts keep your bg steady. They should, because if you test before going to bed and it’s at least 4 hours after your last bolus (and food), the insulin dripped out by the basal rate should be sufficient for your body’s background needs (hormones, etc.) If you’re waking to too many lows or highs, it’s always a good idea to check overnight basals.

My basal rate increases a bunch after 4 a.m. to counteract dawn phenom, but I’m starting to suspect that I’m dropping lower than I’d like to at 3 a.m. No way to know except to wake up and test–or wear a CGM.

Hi Kelly… I opted for the 72 hour CGM…since i’m on medicare they only allow me to test thru cgm twice a year. I have tried to have them approve a cgm monitor since i am on the mm722 but they just don’t care. I think if i did it on my own my numbers would’nt be accurate because i would be so stressed. And u explained the basal test better than my educator only a fellow diabetic would know. Thanks

I fail to understand why 72-hour CGMs are severly rationed by many insurance plans.

The first 72 hours gather the data. Then one may need to make dosing tweaks. Then, ideally, one would get to wear the device again to see if the tweaks were sufficient.

I’m not sure how many 72-hour CGMs my insurance allows–you reminded me to investigate. Thanks!

I would be game…if you have not done it already:) Will see if I am stable tonight…if not tomorrow. Have to do it on a weekend…and happens that I have a lot of reading to do this weekend…so, why not on one night! Will f/u to let you know how it goes. Take care Kelly and I will think of you every time I poke! Feels like a sleep over!

Hey Kelly:) Could not do it last night but, did my a.m. basal instead.

I do a bicycle pattern with basal changing for rise in a.m. and then up around meal times…in a.m. I am more insulin resistant…drop by lunch and then rise again in late evening. Based on these numbers for a.m…my basal looks good for now:
8:30 a.m. 61
9:30 a.m. 86
10:30 a.m. 91
11:30 a.m. 77
12:30 p.m. 82

suspect I need to dial back my nightime basal though…so it is the next basal I should check! thanks for posting and encouraging me to f/u…doing basal checks are always a chore and nice to have someone to do it with:) I find just being on Tu has improved my blood sugars…because I have an additional reason to be attentive to my care. When I am not attentive…my numbers drift and suddenly, I am looking at BGs in the 200’s!

By the way…how often do you check your basals? I do when I notice numbers out of the ordinary for a few days and usually about every 3-4 months…usually in anticipation of seeing the doctor.

Again…thanks for being a basal buddy:)
Have a great weekend.

Well…just to f/u. Once I start testing…I usually follow through meals, etc. to get the whole picture. Here are the numbers…think I need to check lunchtime next and maybe my 3A-9A may be a tad too high…have thought this for a while:)

2:30 p.m. 128 (2hr postprandial)
3:30 p.m. 136
5:30 p.m. 136 (pre-dinner)
7:30 p.m. 114
8:30 p.m. 104
10:30 p.m. 119
11:30 p.m. 123

midnight 121
3a.m. 123
9:30 a.m. 57

Take care all and thanks for the encouragement to check the basals:)

I actually tried one of those online blood sugar monitoring sites a while back…did the same thing…meaning helped me keep monitoring and adjusting on target. Would be interested in how just being a member of this site helps us (or not) keep in better control? Something to think about.

Haven’t test mine yet, but you’ve inspired me!

Re: does participating in a social network help diabetes control? I’m excited to learn about tudiabetes connection to an academic institution that may look into this. I so hope they design a study and define some best practices for using social networks to “tweak” diabetes control.

I had an endo appt. today and my doc was pleased with my numbers (still moving, point by point, toward 6%). When I told her that I think tudiabetes and things like #bgnow and #bgwed on Twitter have really helped keep me accountable, she was willing to listen but I’m not convinced she’ll recommend them to other patients. I do realize that the online world is full of misinformation and bad advice, but the connection it give me to other people dealing with the same diabetes issues: priceless!

Thanks for the basal-testing inspiration! I hope to report back soon. Turning up ringer on alarm clock!!

Okay Kelly - this sounds like something I wouldn’t mind doing with a few of you (cringing at what the results will be). So, we have to wake up … ugh … every hour or every 2 hour (shows you that I’ve not done this in awhile). I know most mornings I wake up between 4-6.6 mmol/l (72 - 120 mg/dl). It only goes wacky when I’ve eaten something unusual the night before. Let me know when you are all set to do it - if it’s the w/e - during the warm months (June to September) - I can’t join - as I’m at my floating cottage (aka Fat Cat 25’ sailboat) - but sure am interested. I need motivation for sure!

Hey Kelly:) I really believe the accountability and being able to talk w/ other people going through the same thing…has helped me a lot! If I come on here…I am motivated and take the time to check frequently. Since becoming a member I ordered a new meter, got an upgrade on my pump and “think” I have dropped my HgA1c substantially…waiting to find out later this month. The info I find on pump troubleshooting and new products…I cannot find anywhere else!

Big thanks to everyone who posts and takes the time to make suggestions:) Big HUGS…my testing buddies!

Good news Anna…is that you only have to get it stable before bed, check it at midnight and f/u at 3 a.m. and waking up. If you get some odd numbers…you may wish to f/u at other times during the night. I think testing all night would alter the results because you would be awake…triggering release of hormones…like dawn phenomenon…for some, it may not matter.

So…much luck and good wishes Anna…you lucky duck…sailing the world:) Check those basals…you will not regret it:)

If you haven’t already done so, I would LOVE to have a buddy to do it with. I need to, but also HATE waking up. It’s easier to just go through the day and correct/adjust. I’m a little lazy…

Let me know!

I was just reading about basal testing in “pumping Insulin”. I have changed my basals twice in the past two weeks and they are still too high forcing me to eat when I do not want to. I have been doing 2 A.M. checks for the past 3 weeks. I have a pattern of low pre-breakfast, rebounding high after breakfast, another low near lunch, then rebounding high in the late afternoon. Too much basal is causing a roller coaster affect. I also plan to do a more thorough investigation of my night time basals eventhough I am not currently experiencing lows at night. Good luck everyone. I am glad Kelly Rowlongs started this conversation. Hopefully we can motivate eachother. : >!

Isn’t this what a CGM is for? :slight_smile:

I do not have CGM. I am sure some other tudiabetes’ members can address this topic better then me.

Hey, Kelly,

The CGM remark was not meant for you in particular. It was just a general smart-aleck comment.

I do happen to have a CGM and it’s great for testing nighttime basal rates.

“Pumping Insulin” is an excellent resource especially for checking basal rates. Just do it methodically and for only one period at a time. Follow John Walsh’s method and you’ll get there but keep in mind that you may have to do it a couple of times to find the ideal rate.

My endo says better to have it too low and adjust it upwards than have it too high and risk going low in your sleep.

As for high rebounds after breakfast, have you tried eating later or splitting your breakfast into two sessions - one to bring your BG up slightly without a bolus and one follow up for which you do bolus. You can space them about 30 minutes apart. Or eat a quick snack as soon as you wake up, do your morning rituals and then have your breakfast? Just a thought. Or two. Sometimes taking care of the rebound after breakfast will control the rebounds at lunch. (did for me.)

Keep up the good work,

Terry

Agreed;) wish we all had it, that it was affordable, and that it was even more accurate. What I do think is do-able…is the 72 hr CGM or get a few sets and check periodically. I am glad some folks have access to the technology…wish we all had it…until then, this is what we do.

Going to do an overnight basal test tonight on my 7 yr old. Do you eat anything specific the meal before testing? My son ate scrambled eggs with cheese and ketchup, toast, and a handful of cheese popcorn.....do you think with that being the meal before testing it will be true readings?