Please don't take any offence to this

Like I said please don’t take offence to this but was just wondering how many here had to REALLY explain to the other kids that you had diabetes but they COULDN’T catch it? Coming up in the 70’s and getting diabetes I constantly had to explain that to other kids. Was shunded more than obce b/c ppl thought since I had diabetes they could catch it from hanging around me.

Other kids? If only it were that easy!

After I was diagnosed (in summer between grades) I went back to school, but was temporarily removed when other kids’ parents complained that I might be contagious.

This was obviously way way before 504 plans and all the stuff that exists today, but I’m not sure that overall things are that much easier. With the anti-sharps hysteria of the 80’s still lingering today, I worry that I’m putting my kids at risks just going into a parent-teacher meeting with a syringe or bg meter in my pocket - take a look at how some local school districts enforcing a “zero tolerance” policy on medication.

Parents for real??? You would think they had it together. SHEZ!!! That would REALLY upset me. Where I went to school all those years ago it was a small school with an enrolment of 350 students k-12. Like I said SMALL school. I got to thinking about the other kids today and thought I would ask this question.

Hey I went to all the parent-teacher meatings and conferences with my meter and when I was on shots those too

ThatThat link you gave me is soooooo wrong. What does a diabetic do when schools are like that?

I didn’t but maybe it’s because I got diagnosed in 94’.

I think the modern solution, is that the 504 plan protects the diabetic student from mandatory suspension.

When I was in school, it was more like “don’t ask don’t tell”. i.e. as long as I didn’t make any trouble, I wouldn’t get in trouble.

Oh ok. I had no option b/c like I said it was a small school and EVERYBODY knew about it.

There are both advantages and disadvantages from the “small town” perspective :-). At its best it looks like life in Mayberry on the Andy Griffiths show. At its worse it looks more like the movie “Children of the Corn” :-(.

Really? This is unthinkable even in a former communist state like Czech republic where I live, I have yet to face any kind of issue with people’s or institutional reaction to my diabetes (dxed in 95). Or I’m just lucky :slight_smile:

Your so lucky. Way back when diabetes wasn’t understood and most ppl thought they could catch it and have to take shots the rest of their lives (well that what I had to hear) Diabetes is much more understood now in the US and that helps alot. When my daughter took Type 1 back in 99 I was totally amased at how the school and her friends hanled it.

Well then :slight_smile: I’m still flummoxed when I hear horror stories around here about incompetent D nurses and endos in US, or people not being able to afford D supplies and pumps. I know medicare is a tricky issue in US, but here in Europe (in Czech Rep) we basically get supplies for free, I got my pump for free and even get Dexcom for 4 months each year for free.

OK I’m comming there to live! LOL! Yes medicare and all the other insurances here are too tricky. LOL!

LOL! Too true!!

I want to move to the Czech Republic, too. Healthcare is the US is a travesty & a disgrace. Our gov’t prefers to bankrupt our country on wars & subsidizing the very wealthy with tax breaks.

You just said what I think but was thinking it might not be the best to put up! THANK YOU GERRI!!!

Well, we’ve got our fair share of huge problems too :slight_smile: But D-wise, we might be actually better off here.

People on insulin are really well taken care of in the UK too. Not only is our diabetes paraphernalia free, ALL our other prescriptions (non-D) are free too. OK it might be a bit hard to get on a pump but I can live with that.

The sweetest things one of my friends said when she heard about my dx was ‘For the first time ever, I am happy to pay taxes so that you don’t have to worry about getting the medical kit you need to stay alive.’

Sorry that you had to go through that Doris. I guess that I was Lucky and had some Good Friends. I was dxd. in '61 in a wee town. Most of the town knew that my 2 Brothers and I had Diabetes but I was never picked on or teased about it. Some of the Kids may have been “afraid of catching” Diabetes froim us but I wasn’t aware of it. I played with the Kids in class and others in school and in our Neighbourhood(27 Kids there). I was also athletic and into many Group games and activities. I’m Very Grateful for that. Great topic Doris. :slight_smile:

Thank you Terri. I just got to remembering how it was back then and just wondered if anyone else had that same problem as I did when I was diagnosed. I was diagnosed in late july early Aughest and here the schools start around August 5th or so anyway I had missed the firat 3 weeks of school (so everybody knew where I was at) alll the old “friends” that I had would say “I can’t play with you or I’ll catch diabetes too” Sobering for a 6th grader. Funny how your childhood makes you remember things when your 47 huh?

Errrrrrrrrr make that a 5th grader. Hey 5th & 6th were in the same romm. Like I said SMALL town and many tears ago.