PLEASE READ RIGHT NOWWW hELLPPP

Primed out about 80 units to get air bubble out of my big needle of insulin before inserting into reservoir…Tandem needle can hold 300 units, but drew past 300, not sure how much bc wasnt paying attention, maybe to 350? Pushed out to get air bubble maybe to where needle says 270, so 80 units total? Some went onto table as it should, some went on me and my hand, and some might’ve squirted onto the blueberries next to me…But like an idiot i took a handful of blueberries and ate them and immediately tasted insulin in my mouth and might 've swallowed it! Don’t know how much but maybe like if it were even half of whawt i squirted out it’d be 40 units/ ? Or maybe 60?? IF YOU SWALLOW THAT MUCH INSULIN, WILL IT CAUSE EXTREME LOWW??? oR BC IT WAS IN MOUTH/STOMACH IT WON’TT DO AS MUCH DAMAGE???

Insulin currently cannot be taken by mouth because the digestive juices in your stomach and intestine will break down the insulin before it has a chance to get into your bloodstream to do its job.

6 Likes

Some time in future oral insulin may be available!!

1 Like

I agree MM1

1 Like

You could drink an entire vial of insulin with no effect

4 Likes

I’m sorry, but you’ve got WAY bigger problems than insulin in your mouth (not a concern at all) if you wasted 80 units to get an air bubble out.

I highly recommend you talk to your doctor about setting up a training refresher. You’ve learned an incorrect habit, and that sort of mistake is not only REALLY expensive, but can lead to shortages in your supply.

And FYI, you should have an air bubble in your syringe when you fill the cartridge. If you’re talking about the air bubble that’s in the cartridge and removed before filling… That serves a purpose. You just flick it up to the plunger while the needle is facing down. When you eject all the Insulin into the cartridge, that air bubble fills the empty space in the luer lock connection, so you’re not wasting the 15 units or so of insulin that would otherwise just sit there in that gap. The needle is transparent at the connection, you can actually watch that the air bubble stays in the needle rather than your cartridge

If the air bubble occured while drawing insulin out of the insulin vial, then the air bubble should have been ejected right back into the vial, without ever taking the syringe out. Then those 80 units would just have ended up safely back in the vial, rather than on your table and blueberries.

4 Likes

I think your fine.

That’s actually not what the Tandem training materials ask you to do. My recollection of the training is that it encourages you to avoid getting air into the cartridge. One of the first steps is to attempt to withdraw any lingering air from the cartridge bladder into the syringe so you can get rid of it.

Also, I frankly don’t see how it avoids wasting insulin. The air in the tubing needs to eventually be replaced with insulin. And that insulin in the tubing is going to be discarded eventually whenever the cartridge and/or tubing is discarded. No? :confused:

I’m not talking about ejecting the air into the cartridge. It doesn’t get past the syringe.

You insert a FILLED syringe into the cartridge. Cartridge on the bottom, needle in the cartridge, plunger directed up into the air. You pull back on the plunger, and the air bubble rises to the top of the syringe. Give it a good flick to make sure all the air bubble(s) get up there. Then you push the insulin into the cartridge. When you get down to the very end, watch the luer lock where the needle connects to the syringe. You’ll see the last of the insulin leave the syringe and the air bubble starts to get pushed into that empty space in the luer lock. You can see where the end of the needle is, the meniscus of the fluid, and the air bubble.
EXACTLYY when you think you’ll inject the air bubble into the cartridge if you push any farther, you’ll find the plunger is actually seated as far as it can go. That bubble fills the empty space perfectly, without actually putting any air into cartridge, and fully voids the syringe of all the Insulin.

Coincidentally, that wasted insulin stuck in the luer lock connection is also one of the reasons why they switched to the smaller t:lock connection on the tubing. (Of course, having a captive consumer base of the consumables using their proprietary connection, is another.)

Those who withdraw that bubble from the cartridge and eject it into the air are actually wasting insulin, because now there is insulin still trapped between the syringe and the needle.

I did just look at the user manual, though. Tandem’s official instructions do indeed tell you to remove the syringe and eject the bubble into the air, so my suggestion that the OP seek a refresher on training wouldn’t have helped here. I don’t know where I picked this up, whether it’s an old nursing tip I got from my trainer or learned it from the diabetes community. It’s definitely a better way of doing it, though. Faster, simpler, and less wasteful.

I’ve also found that not all training materials share the same methodology, though, so maybe this method is posted elsewhere. Such as whether to fill the tubing/infusion set before or after you insert the infusion set.

However, something is still being done wrong if they lost 80 units in the process. Tandem’s instructions even say you should only see a drop at the needle tip.

1 Like

If you think about it for a sec you’ll realize that if ingesting insulin orally had any effect you wouldn’t have to inject it in the first place. But digestion breaks it down so you can’t take it that way, alas.

4 Likes