Pneumonia vaccine how often?

My previous endo said pneumonia vaccine every 5 years for diabetics. I am about at the 5-year mark. Do folks on this site have input on frequency of getting this vaccine? Understand it can be deadly for diabetics if they get pneumonia.

Shingles is another one…

My understanding is that it’s a once in a lifetime vacceine. Maybe it depends on the specific vacceine, though, if there are different ones. I’m sure hoping the one I got is only once, because I had an allergic-type reaction to it (arm swelled up and was hot, red, and itchy for over a week), so I’d be nervous of getting a repeat.

the first one I had a reaction similar, arm area swollen and hot, the second one was 2 years later and no reaction. so I don’t think it’s the pneumonia vac itself but the body’s reaction and antibodies.as I understand it, it was 2 for life.

Interesting. I ended up going to a walk-in clinic a week after the shot because I was worried it might be some sort of weird infection. I was told to take Benadryl for the itching and the doctor said it was my immune system over-reacting, which sounded like an allergic reaction to me. The reaction was almost identical (except more swelling and longer-lasting) to the reactions I get now with allergy shots. Hopefully if I ever need another one I won’t react. My doctor hasn’t ever mentioned the need to repeat it, though.

@Jen
@Yoga62
@jack16

Shingles vaccine once

Pneumonia every five years
Or sooner as needed to protect the immunodeficient

Daughter with Primary Immunodeficiency needs it every 3 years. Due this year.
Has a great, prolonged stretch of protection against all kinds of illnesses for the six months after she gets it.

Elderly also need it sooner than five.
92- yr old Mother in law gets it every 2 years.

Diabetics could be lumped with immunodeficiency people. Check with your endo to see what they recommend specifically for each of you?

2 Likes

My endodontist had said every 5 for pneumonia and I had the shingles vacinne it was a series of a couple shots.

Will ask new endo about pneumonia vaccine think I need it as it has been five years.

Everyone should ask his or her own doc regarding how often. The CDC says this for phuemonia:

The number of doses and timing of pneumococcal vaccines varies based on your age and risk factors. The best way to determine what’s right for you is to talk to your healthcare professional. If you are age 65 years or older, or between the ages of 19 and 64 years and have risk conditions such as heart, lung, or liver disease, diabetes, kidney problems, etc., talk to your healthcare professional as soon as possible and get vaccinated.

And this for shingles:

Shingles vaccine is approved by the Food and Drug Administration for people aged 50 years and older. However, CDC does not have a recommendation for routine use of shingles vaccine in people 50 through 59 years old. Protection from shingles vaccine lasts about 5 years, so adults vaccinated before they are 60 years old might not be protected later in life when the risk for shingles and its complications are greatest. Adults 50 through 59 years who have questions about shingles vaccine should discuss the risks and benefits with a healthcare provider.

And please don’t forget Flu, Whooping Cough, Tetanus, and childhood vaccines.

I’ve had my pneumonia vaccination which apparently covers myself for 10 years they told me at the Drs. Gd idea, since I catch colds and viruses very easily and am debilitated for weeks on end. I tell people to stay away from me if they have a sore throat or cold. I also stay away from people when I have a cold.

I remember the pneumonia vaccine being a ten-year shot.