Pod on calf

Not a bad idea. I never thought of doing that and just keeping a close check on my BG levels afterward.

I thought I’d be in muscle too (I had quite a bit of discomfort and pain when I tried putting it in a few spots on my thighs, so I did not have high hopes for the calf…but had to at least try it). I just made sure to flex while I was trying to get the pod stuck on me, so that I knew where the window and the canula were going to lay. Then I made sure to really relax and pull the skin up as much as I could while the canula was inserting…and so far, so good.
I don’t know that I’d wear it here every day, but it’s nice to know I’ve got a new spot that I can fall back to if I need to :slight_smile:

You’re like my brother from another mother, B.

Update to pod on the calf: I didn’t have any issues w/ basal stuff (numbers were where I wanted them to be). However, on the 3rd day (24-30 hrs left of pod-ish) I started having some trouble w/ boluses. It just didn’t seem like the amount of insulin I was bolusing was sufficient to cover the food well. I had a few post-prandial highs, and I’d bolus again to bring the number down. So I decided to remove the pod and go back to a place I knew was golden. Numbers came down instantly. The canula on the one I took off of the calf was pink-ish (not totally blood filled, but definitely a little in there), but otherwise, the site was fine. It didn’t hurt at any point, and up until that last day, I had good numbers. So not sure what went wrong…I’m going to keep experimenting though, so I don’t have to rely on the same few spots all the time :slight_smile:

Wow. I had no idea so many people would be interested in trying out the calf site. It makes me proud to be the person who originally posted the picture :slight_smile:

So far it’s my favorite site. I’ve used my arms, tummy, and lower back as well as the calf.

Kassie - Thanks for the idea! Bradford and Melissa, thanks for being test subjects! At first, I took one look at the picture and thought, “these people are crazy!” But decided to try it, and it is by far my favorite site! Unkicked or grabbed by the kids yet!!

ok. I never thought I would say this but you have me curious now. Maybe I’ll get the nerve up to use my calf as my next site. I’ll let you know.

I was kinda nervous about this idea, but with so many people trying the site it makes me feel like going for it!

Update. By the end of Day 2 and my third BG over 300 for no good reason, I ripped the sucker off and threw it. My friend with Omnipod reminded me that it’s not one of the “approved” sites. I laughed and said I can see why. I’m not sure I’m brave enough to try it again any time soon.

Hi All,

New to the site…using Dexcom for about 2 years and Omni for about 8 months and wanted to chime in. I tried the Dex on the top of thigh but I found the best location is on my butt about 3 inches below my belt line. After install, I almost forget it’s there. I usually use Skin-Tac to keep it in place. As far as the Omni, the Company rep installed the Dex on my lower back above belt (love handle area). It would have been ok but when sitting in office chair, they would seem catch on my backrest or be annoying when driving. I started using the inside of my calves within weeks of ownership with much success. No problems yet with inclusions. I’m overall thin to normal weight (6’2 #190) and have slim calves. I usually rotate from calves to my inner leg (midpoint between knee and Ahhhhem!) This provides a good location for not bumping it and not annoying when sleeping. In either location, I usually flip the pod up then down next time to vary the site better…even shift it up or down a bit to get at least 2 or 3" of location change. Of course i rotate calf, calf, upper leg, upper leg.

Take Care,
Ted

I haven’t tried my calf yet, but I think that may be the next experiment.

Right now I’m still wearing it on my shoulder, picture is up in my blog
http://persistencewithin.com/2011/02/17/persistence-defined/

So I tried my calf for the first time this morning and am loving it! Thanks all for all the pics and giving the needed courage to try!

My only concern with putting it on my calf would be the chance of an infection. If your in good health there is probably no chance, but if you have any circulation problems, thats probably not the best place to use.

I've tried it twice on my calf and I love this new area! I like to wear boots, so I made a strategic placement of the pod a few inches below my knee. It is great to have it out of the way and use up new "real estate".

Btw I'm pretty lean (several people I know asked if I even had enough fat on my leg), so I highly recommend trying it out!

Annie,

Maybe you'll be able to answer this. I have peripheral neuropathy in my feet and about halfway up my legs. It is predominately in the shin area but I still have issues with the calf area. I do wear it on my thighs but don't have the neuropathy that high. Do you think it would make the neuropathy worse or affect it in some way?

Hi CML Peterson,

Wow,I really have no idea. That is a good question for your physician.

Is the pod below the top of the boot? It doesn't rub?

My absorption was terrible on my calf - I wonder what I was doing wrong.....