Pod sometimes sluggish and sometimes great. Why?

This is very interesting because it explains the sheer randomness of the lows and highs. Not food. Not stress not exercise not,anything. I can’t see what changes so randomly for no reason. Works 2 days and not the next three. Works three then not 2. If the cannula is too short and is getting jostled “loose” That would explain it. I’ve never used any other pump.

I am extremely positive and make the best out of everything. But the year and a half I tried to work with it was the hardest time of my pump life in 12 years. I wouldn’t eat at times, spend hours on the treadmill just waiting for it to work or get into my tissue or change a pod out as many as 3 times a day. The wasted insulin in those cases killed me. I take 13 unites a day so I was throwing tons of insulin away each pod.

I joined the forum today because I saw this post and wanted to reply. I like using Omnipod but I am very frustrated by the inconsistency! Some times the pods are great, and sometimes they seem flaky. I know every day is different as a T1D, but that’s not what I am seeing. What I am seeing is a huge difference in the absorption from one day to the next, and from one site location to the other.
Perhaps there is a difference in the insertion day? Like it works better or worse depending on how long the pod has been in place?
Perhaps the cannula length is a problem? Other pumps give you a choice of infusion length. I think the 6 mm is not long enough. Any thoughts on this?

Pam, I also take syringe doses to help bring my BG down. An IM dose in my calf muscle, followed by a couple miles of jogging brings it down very quickly! Of course, that sucks when it’s 2am. :slight_smile:

I had a similar five month failed Omnipod experience back in 2012. I know Omnipod has many success stories and that was one of the reasons I switched to it. Prior to that time I had been using insulin pumps for 25 years. I was glad I bailed at 5 months. Going back to my Ping and returning to good control was one of the happier days in my time with diabetes. @Ali4, I’m glad you found a more reliable system for you.

Everyone needs to find their own individual best match regarding insulin pumps. No pump is consistent 100% of the time because, like you said, D is not a consistently consistent disease. (And the human body is also annoyingly inconsistent at times.) For my daughter, the OmniPod system works almost exceptionally well. She’s used it long enough that we’ve learned which sites to avoid (or use with a 24/7 increased “temporary” basal rate.) I agree: I suspect the shorter, angled cannula doesn’t work for everyone. But some cannulae don’t work well for some people regardless of the pump. There’s simply no choice RE cannula specs with Pods, however.

1 Like

we had a big discussion about this a couple years ago, the 3rd day seems to be problematic for many

and a big welcome to our community @Eric2, glad you’ve joined us!

I always find that the 3rd day is the worst for me on the pod. It’a always on my stomach/hips or arms. Definitely a pattern for me. I usually don’t make it to when the pod actually expires due to the high numbers even though there’s typically enough insulin to get me to the expiration.

Thanks for the reference to the 3rd day discussion! I will check it out. Still learning my way around here!

1 Like

In regards to the “3rd” day. For those reading this still using the OmniPod I recommend getting the Glooko app/website set up. Its free and the helpful bit is that it will show you clearly your control on day 1 day 2 and day 3, over time. This way you will clearly see if its a day 3 issue or not.

I have Glooko. I actually tried using it for the day-by-day comparison, but there was a problem because what Glooko calls a “day” is from midnight to midnight. Unless you always change your pod at midnight, the Glooko comparison will not be an accurate reflection of a 24 hours period. I think we are interested in 24 hours segments, not “days”, right?

I have sent 2 requests to Glooko for this. 1) Allow data to be exported to an excel format. That way you could key certain times and group your data by 24 hour time segments, instead of the current day-of-the-week type of day. 2) Allow Glooko to group data by Pod. Currently, the only way to do this is to go through it manually.

If anyone knows of an easy way to do this (not having to manually go through line-by-line and adding numbers) please share!

I just found this conversation and it’s so reassuring! I know some Omnipod users who absolutely love it, but I have consistently had inconsistency problems since I started on the pods 9 months ago and have thought it was just me, like somehow my body was just not good at consistently absorbing insulin. I’ve tried all the fixes suggested by both my doc and the Omnipod customer service (who are always kind and available even when their suggestions don’t work) to no avail. At any rate, I can really identify with the pod sometimes sluggish/sometimes great comment. I’ve been exploring the TSlim and Animas Ping options and reading about the pod problems others experience is giving me more confidence about making the switch.

If it is an absorption problem, switching pumps may not fix it by itself. You might ALSO need to switch to a different canula length…

Thanks for that suggestion – I have noticed that in the discussion thread. And I like that using a different pump would give me some canula length options.

So you are now on shots @Ali4? Is that right? What fast acting insulin do you use?

I was on medtronic for 14 years (with that one change on pod nightmare). YES YES YES I am on shots and can’t imagine my life on a pump again. I am in Tresiba and on most days (give or take a day) I only need one shot a day and my a1c is 5.3.

@RachelRose, where do/did you wear your pods?

Hi Anthony, I rotate my pods in a pattern that includes my abdomen, the
back of my hips, and my upper arms. I used to use my legs but my numbers
are so much higher when the pod is on my legs that I eventually stopped
using those sites. Because of my frequent rotation and the fact that I’ve
only been on the Omnipod since October, I know that I’m not overusing any
of the sites, and yet I have frequent enough problems that I’m pretty
frustrated.

Ok. Those are all good sites. And you are correct about the legs. I do use my legs sometimes and the insulin response time is much slower.

Have you ever tried to bolus as soon as you do a site change? For some reason when I use my legs or my upper buttocks area I need to immediately give a booster bolus of 1u. This will usually keep me flat-line. If I don’t do this my BG creeps up as if my basal has stopped.

Eddie2, Suggestion: The day and time you change your pod is marked in glooko. You can see those data points and look forward 48-72 hrs. This would be a manual analysis w/o the excel export but the pattern should be evident. They could offer a bunch more data mining tools than they currently do. Would love to be on a focus group panel for that.

In 7 months and have had only 1 pod that acted like I wasn’t really getting any insulin even though the PDM showed “normal” deliveries. The unexected highs lasted until I changed that pod out early. Insulet kindly replaced it. Have never seen any day 3 variations and I use my pods well into the 8 hr expired window. Yes, not to supposed to do that but I like using as much of the reservoir as possible. When changing pods I always bolus right away even if I’m not eating or up the bolus calculation a bit. If not my BG will be too high on day 1. I’m convinced that even though it self primes, the first few day 1 deliveries after a pod change are slightly diluted.

It takes four hours to bring BG down using correction (at least). This might just be the amount of variability that you have. Do you get Dawn Phenomenon?