Poll: Now that Freestyle Libre is approved, will you use it?

Im using the libre now it is a great tool gor type 2 (and type1 if you have good controll on finger prick system)
It does have cgm what it does not have is auto update to the meter/phone. It keeps 8h worth of readings on board but you can check a often ss you like. The reader is rechargable but in 3 months iv only charged it day one and its still above 1/2. It is cheap nz $100 per meter and sensor but you only need the sensor if you want to save the meter cost and the sensor last 2 weeks. Id love a auto reporting cgm but at 3 times the cost im sure the libre will soon enough do 15 min or so auto updates if you keep the meter close enough. Working on nfc type system its downfall is proximity. Demand to get reading results

1 Like

I was going to pursue it as I am not using anything right now, but the Animas news has me looking at the Pod and I wont be wanting two things stuck on, I dont think…

Having used the Freestyle Libre for 10 months now, because I live in the Netherlands I would recommend it to anybody who hasn’t used CGM yet. There is one major issue I would like to warn future users about. The sensors have a tendency to fall off when you’ve been sweaty or have taken a shower. Also, they fall off very easily when you walk close to a door frame (or a bookcase or when cleaning the chicken coop :wink:). Abbott has been very generous with supplying new ones when one falls off before the two weeks it’s supposed to stick, but I get nervous everytime I have to call them, because I’m always afraid they’ll tell me it’s my own fault, so they won’t replace the sensor.
I’m using Skin Tac for the first time and I hope this will do the trick.
One last warning: a lot of people have skin reactions from the sensors. I had a terrible itching skin from the last sensor I used (which fell off after 3 days), but haven’t had the same problem with this one (maybe the Skin Tac keeps a skin reaction at bay, this time). But still: the pros out weigh the cons for me.

The next time I speak to my endocrinologist I’m going to ask her about supplying the Dexcom to patients in stead of the Medtronic Enlite, because so many of you are positive about it.

(In the Netherlands, CGM is paid by the hospital if you meet the criteria to be eligible for CGM and there is still money left in the hospitals budget for CGMs. Hospitals can choose themselves which CGM they supply.)

1 Like

I recently tried the Libre (in Australia) and loved it. It helped me get my overnight basal right after a forever of trying. I also loved having trending data. I hadn’t tried CGM prior but am just about to start with the Enlite sensors. So no experience yet with alarms.
In Aus it’s significantly cheaper than CGM (1k for a box of sensors :sweat:) so I’m thinking of alternating between Libre and true CGM. The delay is also shorter than other CGMs to my knowledge (5-10mins rather than 10-20mins) which means fingers do get a break!

Can’t wait for Aus to get better access to Dex! It’s rated so highly by everyone who talks about it.

Living in the USA, I’ve not been able to try the Libre yet. But I’ve been watching other forums and have noted the adhesive/sensitivity issues you noted. It’s hard to know how frequent these issues are because only those with problems talk about it.

Anyway, a number of solutions have been suggested and it seems different ones work for different folks. Some take additional steps when first applying the sensor. Others do nothing special the first week and only apply special tapes in the second week. Here are a few of the products that have been suggested:
Skin-Tac, OpSite Flexifix, Tegaderm, GrifGrips, Unisolve and Durapore.

Some of these responses go into some detail about how users apply these solutions. But most seem to find a solution and stick with it (pun intended!) I note that many of these products are also used for hospital or surgical procedures, so you may be able to get help from your medical providers.

I very much doubt that Abbott would cut off replacements for the issues you noted. It is in their best interests to keep as many customers happy as possible.

We don’t quite fit any of your categories. My daughter started with the Dexcom 7+, so she’s been using CGM for a while. Our choice will depend on insurance coverage & out of pocket costs. Between insurance premiums & out of pocket expenses, we’ve stretched our budget to the limit.

I wear an Enlite CGM made by Medtronic. Impossible to wear in the summer. Falls off very easily in humidity. I have an inground pool and cannot wear it swimming at all. Looking for a better alternative! The problem is that is so easily communicates with the pump. Winter is great. Other seasons? Forget it!

I just started it even though I was a loyal Dexcom enthusiast and had bought a G5 transmitter not too long ago to try. So far I’m pretty happy and think I will stick with it. It is much more affordable than the Dexcom since there is no transmitter cost and the sensors are guaranteed for 2 weeks. I have been having a lot of trouble getting my Dexcom sensors to last 2 weeks in the last few months - I thought it was my G4 transmitter dying which prompted me to try the G5, but the problem continued. I love not having to calibrate it and I think it is more accurate - I wore it at the same time as my G5 for a couple of days and would catch spikes the Dexcom didn’t (for example, Dexcom would say I was 7 for an hour when really I went up to 9 and back to 7). I really don’t miss the alarms, I hated that I couldn’t shut the urgent low alarm off. I know it is a lifesaver for many people, but I’m always aware of when I’m low and don’t need an alarm to tell me. I also love that the warm up is only 1 hour and that I don’t have to go through another 2 hour warm up to get the sensor to last another week.

6 Likes

I could choose 1 or 2!

I’m a loyal dexcom user and LOVE the access with Apple Watch. It is expensive - but the low alarms have saved my life -

Now technology is never perfect and sometimes the dexcom can be WAY off — I’ve read lots of reviews that the Libre is more accurate.

I like the small size of libre - it would be much more cost effective.

So I’m unsure - Dexcom continues to improve and really allows the CGM to be useful - so if Libre can prove to be just as useful - I’d be willing to try !

Other then in the middle of the night, I have never gone low or high without first knowing it was happening myself, and once you’re using the Libre, trust me, you rarely go 30 minutes without checking. I’ve yet to want the alarm and once the phone apps are out, they will be easy to set up.

That’s great for you but as I stated I and I’m sure many others have gone low or high without knowing it immediately so we need the warnings. Lows and highs are notorious for sneaking up on you. This device would be useless for me for that reason other than for checking Bg. A phone is not reliable for alerts it’s constantly losing signal etc. Trust you? :joy_cat: you’re kidding right? Ydmv.

3 Likes

My 18-year-old T1 son laughed when he heard there were no alerts (“So what’s the point?”) He said NO way would he give up Dexcom to save two measly finger pricks per day. Dex integrates with his Apple Watch and phone; he is always a simple glance away from knowing his BG, which is great as a relatively new driver. He completely relies on the arrows to help keep his BG in range (terrific A1c.) Furthermore, Dexcom offers peace of mind to his father and me when he heads to college next year. Dexcom is the ONLY thing that makes T1D doable for this family.

3 Likes

I am pursuing it. For some of us it should be more affordable, at least it seems that way. And there are those of us who can benefit from it, because it is better than no trending info at all.
Chill out people, you can love your Dex or Medtronic system or whatever, but we are not all needing or wanting the same things! I’m hoping a rep gets with my clinic soon.

1 Like

Agreed. I absolutely love our Dexcom.

Agreed. Competition is good.

Healthy competition makes the entire CGM market better.

2 Likes

I believe I said earlier in this thread that I have no burning desire to have a CGM. As a type 2 it is much more difficult to obtain a CGM, I have never wanted one badly enough to put up the fight, I’m sure I would benefit but not sure how much.

I am starting to think differently about the Libre, I’m wondering if the lower price tag might make it easier to get through insurance.

2 Likes

Freestyle Libre is great. Have been ordering from Europe on eBay. Will continue to use.

I like the smaller size of the Libre and that it should last a little longer than the Dexcom (I can normally only get 10 days per sensor).
I don’t want to carry an extra device, though. If the Libre can be checked with an iPhone app, I may make the switch. Otherwise, I’m not lugging around more crap than I already have.

Fair competition is a wonderful thing for the D community, especially the T1Ds. I’m thrilled when another CGM is approved that can and does help other diabetics because we’re all different and our diabetes varies as wildly as our lifestyles. Long ago I chose to use a CGM that was integrated with my insulin pump. Now I chose to let my insulin pump control my basal from my CGM readings. This combination requires strict adherence to its own calibration schedule. It’s damned annoying and occasionally inconvenient but that’s part of what I have to do to stay in range. I can feel when I’m going low but not when I sleep so the no alarms when I’m going low at night won’t work for me but I’m happy it will work for others.

Agree totally … what works for some… I’m a type 1 and have had horrible lows and find it difficult to check my sugars at night ( I don’t have a CGM and it is a long story) when I’m shaking. This would enable a quick check and enable me to not have to test at work just swipe and read… plus I’m hoping with the lower cost I can afford it … should cost the insurance company less than test strips I use…

1 Like