Post Social Emotional Crashes

My husband has been diagnosed with Type 2 since 2006. He is on the way to insulin but is currently taking Lantus.

For several years, when he has had overnight visits from family or when he visits them overnight, the day after coming home he has what I describe as an emotional crash. One or two mumbled words per day, binge watching TV, blank stare if I say I’m going to the store or? Lasts one day to several days, I never know.

Before, and then afterward, he emerges quickly and is responsive again.

I was wondering if anyone else experiences this either themselves or in their spouse, and your perception of what’s happening and how you handle it? I’ve learned to just go do errands, meet a friend, and let him soak. Trying to talk to him during these episodes is futile and only makes it worse.

does he crash because he eats higher carb when he goes away? i had a depressing thing happen recently, and i binged the whole day and did not check my blood sugar. i was out of it the whole next day after an awful night’s sleep. i’m still out of it and it’s already been two days. it’s like i have to detox after hurting myself.

1 Like

I’m slightly confused by this–Lantus is insulin.

A lot of diabetics do report emotional instability/irritability when running very low or very high blood sugars. From what you describe, if it IS d-related I’d want to know if maybe he’s consuming more carbs on these occasions. Running high can cause fatigue and lethargy, and with just Lantus (which has a very flat effect curve) it could take some days of reduced-carb diet to come down. Just from this description it’s hard to know whether there’s some other emotional trigger going on–family stuff can be, well, complicated–but if it is due to elevated blood sugar, that might be a reason to look into using a short acting insulin in addition to Lantus, at least for bringing his level back into range.

Is he testing his BG at these times? I’m guessing not, given the description, but that’s really the only way to find out whether his diabetes is involved.

1 Like

Sorry to hear you have to go through all this, but I think we would need more information to understand what is going on. Here’s my list of questions:

1. Does your husband eat differently when family comes? How are his blood sugars at those times compared to others?
  2. How is his mood when the family does visit — pleasant, stressful or …? Does the funk begin only after they have left?
  3. Have you discussed these episodes with him after he is fully recovered? What does he say?
  4. Are there ever any situations where this occurs that do NOT involve family?
  5. How is your relationship with his family?
  6. Does he eat normally during the visit and after one of these episodes?

I’ve never experienced this in myself or others that are diabetic. Certainly, high blood sugars can lead to mood swings. But I tend to think that something more than just diabetes is going on. If you can provide some additional details, we may be able to provide helpful suggestions.

1 Like

Sounds like a ‘not diabetes thing.’ Maybe he is processing something. Maybe he gets a little depressed. Doesn’t sound to serious if he’s bouncing back. For anyone who thinks that they are a well adjusted adult, just spend a weekend with your family, right? -------Switched at birth------This American Life. ------Make fun of your family for fun and therapy

1 Like

Thank you so much! He is taking his meds but not controlling his diet, and my daughter, who was with him this weekend, said oh yeah. He ate a ton of fried foods, mexican sweet breads, chinese food…What I meant by “insulin” vs “Lantus” was just that he wasn’t injecting insulin more than once a day, yet, I’m sorry for the confusion…He’s always loved seeing his parents and loved going back to the things (and food) that he grew up with…If I bring the subject up he immediately becomes defensive to the point of conversation stopped, and I will continue to look for “teaching moments?” to mention that as this progresses he will probably have to watch his diet if he expects to live a normal life. At this point he isn’t doing that. To make that worse though, we don’t have insurance until at least the end of August, and while his Doctor has been able to talk a little sense into him at the annual fasting blood draw appointments, Doctor isn’t available to him at this time. The minute insurance turns back on (a works hours bank thing) his butt is at the Doctor on my call…

His family has extended dysfunction but he, his mom and dad have always gotten along very well. If there is more going on emotionally, I’m not aware, but will stay on point observing…

I guess my conclusion then is that progressively over the last decade or more his diet is making a difference in his moods, could have a touch of other problems (bipolar?) but he isn’t in a place to admit that but actually just look at me like I’m insane, that’s always been great times :stuck_out_tongue: He needs to be told, by Doctor, that now it is time to take better care of the diet and not just depend on Lantus, Metformin, Glipizide, Lisonopril, Atorvastatin, Atenolol and Allopurinol.

A couple of things occur to me about your situation. Diabetes is a 24/7 proposition, whether we like it or not. From what you say, his food choices are far from optimal ALL the time. So while high sugars and big BS swings can affect mood, I would expect this behavior to be more regular if that were the driving factor.

The fact that his behavior sort of “snaps” on and off after these visits and then returns to normal, suggest that some sort of psychological factors are at work. You mentioned bipolar, but my impression is that those mood swings happen more randomly, rather than ONLY to a specific trigger. Perhaps someone with more experience can jump in on that one.

Unfortunately, many doctors, including endos, teach the high-carb food pyramid. And a common solution to high BS is to increase insulin or change the timing of injections. Doctors I’ve been to tend to gloss over dietary suggestions and rely on medication for symptoms. That’s not to say there are not good doctors out there, but it often takes diligence on the part of the patient to search them out.

Too often, diabetics see themselves being severely restricted if they have to go on a “diet.” People with excess weight try all kinds of diets and we know where that usually ends up! Diabetics are no different in that respect. Healthy eating for diabetics is almost like a research project. This forum is a huge help. Professionals can help, but the patient motivation has to be there too.

1 Like

I have several very serious medical problems. My doctors all disagree with each other. I had to retire because of my medical situation. My wife caught me sitting in my favorite chair, staring into space, and asked me if I were bored. “No,” I said. “I am just trying to deal with all the things on my plate.”

In my best Elaine Benes voice: “Carbs, carbs, carbs, carbs…” I’d definitely go with that as the chief suspect. Rockin’ BG’s up into the 200+ territory, which I have to guess he’s doing, will make you feel increasingly sludgy, crabby, uncommunicative. And Lantus just isn’t designed for big spikes around meals; that’s what faster insulins like Novolog are for. Moderating your diet is critical, but that can be particularly hard during family or other social gatherings. I don’t know the ins and outs of insulin therapy for T2D, but if he is going to persist in this pattern it may be he needs to cross that border.

There is very little conclusive evidence on what your diet should be on insulin. It varies individual to individual. It varies, for the individual, moment to moment. I would be cautious about this perspective. Cell magazine study out of Israel I tend to think that this is the most overemphasized and least meaningful variables.