Pre-diabetic or early diagnosis?

Yes, it was surprising but the doctor who ordered these tests was convinced she is T2 and refused to listen to my pleas. :disappointed:

This is what my lab says it tests under the guise “diabetes antibodies”

"WHAT IS BEING TESTED?

Islet cell cytoplasmic autoantibodies (ICA), insulin autoantibodies (IAA), glutamic acid decarboxylase antibodies (GADA), insulinoma-associated-2 autoantibodies (IA-2A) and Zinc Transporter 8 antibodies (ZnT8) are a group of tests that measure diabetes-related autoantibodies. These autoantibodies do not cause type 1 diabetes but serve as markers of the body’s destructive immune response against its own cells that produce insulin (e.g., the beta cells in the pancreas). When about 80-90% of the beta cells are destroyed by the immune system, symptoms of diabetes such as frequent urination, thirst, weight loss, and poor wound healing occur. Without sufficient insulin action, hyperglycaemia results. If the symptoms are not detected and hyperglycaemia is not treated, a diabetic medical crisis can occur that can develop over a few weeks or even a few days."

Perfect.
It was an excellent selection of tests that were run.
Adding the Thyroid and Celiac to the mix was also prudent.

Good testing. Sit tight and wait for the results. Try not to overthink it.

Thanks. It is so hard to be patient!!

The thyroid is normal and coeliac negative thankfully :slight_smile:

If you do end up with a T1 diagnosis, discuss the Thyroid and Celiac/coeliac (country spelling - lol) with your Endo. It would be prudent to repeat that testing on an annual basis.

1 Like

We are currently in our pediatric outpatient unit at the children’s hospital doing Avery’s testing. He is getting all 5 antibody tests, a gtt, the thyroid test, the celiac test, and another A1C.

@KateyMumma I really hope you get your results soon!

2 Likes

Avery is handling this like a champ!

2 Likes

So… Avery’s bg at the 2 hour mark is 95. The nurse said that tells her he definitely isn’t a diabetic. Here’s my question, we’ve already noticed Avery has normal days and what I call, abnormal days, so is it possible it is still really early and he is developing it but today is a day he’s adequately producing insulin or would the test have higher results even if he was? I am just so confused now… did we put him through all this for nothing?

1 Like

The nurse is jumping to conclusions based on a single point in time measurement. As a trained HCP, she ought to know better.

Answers to your questions, in order, are “yes”, and “no”.

So, yes even if he was producing adequate insulin today his bg after the gtt would be higher?

Insulin can be erratic, sometimes very much so, in the early stages. Single measurements can fool you—either way. That’s why the battery of tests is so necessary.

No, I think he was saying “yes” it could still just be very early and “no” his blood glucose may not be higher if he’s pancreas was reacting effectively today. Our diabetes educator said yesterday with my son that the “good” and “bad” days were normal. That if they are developing diabetes you’d slowly see the numbers creep up.

Yes, that is what I meant. Sorry for the confusion.

No worries, sometimes text is hard to discern. Thank you for your input. I did ask the nurse specifically what I stated here and she did confirm what you were all saying and like you said @David_dns that’s why all the other tests were performed as well… so again, back to the waiting game.

1 Like

What I really should have said more clearly is no, you are most emphatically not putting him through this for nothing. This is too important not to pin down exactly. :sunglasses:

1 Like

So… the hospital had Avery order a lunch tray before releasing us so he could eat since he’d been fasting and was VERY hungry. He ate a bowl of mac n cheese, a small bowl of diced honeydew and canteloupe and a carton of milk. I tested him at home 2 hours later and his bg is 170… what on earth is going on with this kid?!

Well, that’s a very high carb meal with very little protein, so if he has a problem with carb metabolism, 170 is consistent, though not horrible.

1 Like

So, as @David_dns suggested, it might be a normal response to that meal for someone with impaired glucose metabolism. One of the great tools for diabetics (and parents of diabetics) is a macro calculator. I tend to use myfitnesspal to estimate the content of foods. I punched in what seemed a reasonable facsimile of your son’s hospital meal, and this is the MFP results:

The bolded summary of the macro content goes like this: kcal (727); protein (33g); carbohydrate (74g); dietary fiber (4g); fat (34g); saturated fat (28g).

Note that 70 grams of digestible carbohydrate, while being well within the “normal” range for an American diet, is an amount that would send many of us through the roof. If your son is in the early stages of Type 1, or is in the early stages of Type 2, such a meal is very likely to result in high numbers 2 hours post meal. I myself am in the early stages of Type 1, and a meal like that would have very similar results to your son’s (not that that means anything about him).

1 Like

So you’d see a 2 hr post meal in the 170 or higher range? Just trying to decipher if that is indeed what you meant.

@David_dns I did notice it wasn’t the best meal but the nurse encouraged him to pick what he wanted and chow down since he had been fasting for near 16 hours at that point and since he “most likely” isn’t a diabetic than his choices were fine.

Yes, eating 70g of digestible carbs would reliably send me into the 180-200 mg/dL range, and with the added fat and protein it would take hours to come down. I’ve only eaten that many carbs in a meal once or twice since diagnosis, and it sent my BG soaring in both cases.

Interesting. My husband truly believes that our son is in the early stages and has days where he produces insulin and days where he doesn’t. We have seen an increase in his after meal numbers, especially dinner. Well we have all the relevant tests done, now the 2 week wait for answers. I’m debating if I even want to keep checking him or just let him be and see what happens in 2 weeks.