Pre-pregnancy labwork and other tests

Hi there,

I am living in Italy and my husband and I are thinking pregnancy in about a year. Obviously before getting pregnant, I want to have all necessary tests done, but I don’t know what they all are exactly! Here the level of care is very individual…and based a lot on what you ask your doctor for. I know that I will be much more at ease f I go there with a list of all the appointments (eye…and what else??) and blood tests that I want done knowing that they would be the same as in the U.S. and other developed countries! Thanks so much for any advice you can give!

Hey Kirsten,
Before I got pregnant (I am at 20 weeks right now), my endo ordered the following tests, in addition to the usual dialated eye exam:

• Lipid profile
  • TSH and other related thyroid tests (because I have T1)
  • Microalbumin and creatinine
  • A1c and fructosamine

She probably went a little overboard with ordering all those tests, but it is really nice to have a baseline for comparison purposes. When I saw my perinatalogist for the first time, they were glad I had all those labs that they could review. At my first visit, they ordered a 24-hour urine collection so they could get a baseline measurement of protein and creatinine. Since I’ve had T1 for several years, they are also watching my blood pressure really closely because of the risk of preeclampsia, so I check my bp once a day. At 24 weeks, I’ll start checking it twice a day and checking my urine every morning for protein (and ketones, which I already check), and weighing myself every morning.
Sorry if that’s way more info than you needed! All the tests are worth it when you see the little heartbeat. :slight_smile:
Katie

Wow, thank you so much and congratulations! This is exactly what I was looking for - and I think more tests/exams is better than not enough. Hope all is going well for you!

Katie-

I had pre-eclampsia with my 1st child. I was on bedrest for 10 weeks, 4 in the hospital. My OB read a study just after Lily (1998) was born about the use of 81 mg aspirin during pregnancy to prevent pre-eclampsia. When I became pregnant with Caroline (2001), I went on the baby aspirin at 6 weeks. I had a fantastic pregnancy with her, no pre-eclampsia. I stayed on the aspiring through the birth of my 3rd child, Samuel, (2004), and no pre-eclampsia the last time either. So ask your OB about the aspirin.