Pregnancy and want to gain weight

hi i posted before about being a new diabetic and pregnant.im 24 and was diagnosed with diabetes just a week before i found out i was pregnant.Iam16 weeks now my height in 5 ft.4.5 in" and my weight is about 116 pounds.I didnt gain any weight since starting of my pregnancy but lost some around 3 pounds maybe coz of vomiting and following my new diabetic diet.i take about 3.5-5 u inslin at each meal and bedtime and i eat about 45g carbs at each meal 3 times and 30g carbs for snacks.my endo dr says that i should be gaining weight now.its really difficult for me to increase my protein and fat but ive been trying.do u think i should increase my carbs or i should just wait coz people with diabetes have problem with more weight rather than not gaining it and i will gain eventually?it may be just coz iam still vomiting sometimes nausea isnt gone yet.
i would appreciate any thoughts.thanks so much for help in advance. :slight_smile:

Hi,

If you increase your carbs you are going to need to increase the insulin and you will find your blood sugar is harder to manage (your current carb intake is not low). I would recommend increasing the protein and especially the healthy fats (animal fats, butter, cream, avocado etc). Avoid vegetable and processed fats, which are not so healthy.

1 Like

the main thing is babies weight…but increase your carbs to where you still good blood levels. increase your protein, …you will use more insulin,insulin is a fat storing hormone…with enough carbs and protein, you will store some as fat,… you will also store some dietary fats as fat

Please ask your own doctor for advice. You should not be following board and forum advice. You need to have a diet that works for you, your baby and your own needs. Nutrition is Number ONE, you need ALL of the food groups as does your growing baby. Number TWO, if you are vomiting then you need to let your doctor(s) know this so that your baby can be monitored as well as you. I hope you get over the sick part of preggers and you and your baby can enjoy the miracle. You do need to eat carbs, fats, proteins… And you are eating for two so when you vomit you are vomiting for two :frowning:

Hi-

Congrats on your pregnancy!

I also am having a hard time with my weight gain. I am 18 weeks and have only gained 5 pounds! With my first child- I did not have this issue at all, I was up 15 pounds at this point but gained a total of 40 (which was way more than I needed to).

I am just trying to eat as healthy as possible and take in good sources of protein/fat- Hummus, avocados, greek yogurt, etc. I think once baby starts pack on pounds- I will too!

Good Luck :slight_smile:

I didn’t gain any weight during pregnancy until almost the 3rd trimester.