Premature Pubic hair

My daughter was diagnosed as T1D a little over an year ago; no other issues. She turned 6 years old in Dec. Recently I have started noticing a little hair growth in her pubic area. Otherwise she is a tiny and petite girl (41 inches; 15 kgs). Also, I don’t see any other signs of puberty like breast development, body curving, underarm hair growth etc. Wondering what this could be?

Note: she is on lantus and Humalog.

It looks like diabetes and early puberty onky very rarely occur together, and no clear association can be determined.

http://abstracts.eurospe.org/hrp/0084/hrp0084P3-775.htm

And as far as I can tell, there are no known links between lantus and humalog, and precocious puberty either.

On the other hand, it would definitely be a good idea to make your daughter an appointment with the doctor. Many people have no identifiable or known cause of early puberty, and it doesn’t cause any serious health problems down the line. However, thyroid conditions are known to be linked with early puberty, and there is a known autoimmune cause of both hypothyroidism (Hashimoto’s) and hyperthyroidism (Grave’s)’ and as autoimmune disease sometimes like to collect friends, it would be worth having that checked out. There can also be more sinister causes of early puberty (such as brain or spinal cords tumours), and while quite rare, it is best to rule those out.

In all honesty, it is probably not a serious issue, and just a fluke, but best to mention it to her endocrinologist, just in case :slight_smile:

With puberty there will be hormone changes. These may affect your daughter’s insulin needs

I would definitely take her to a dr. A friend of mine’s daughter had early puberty and had to be given shots every 3 weeks to keep it at bay till she was 12. It wasn’t at al related to diabetes, but to her early exposure to plastics which mimic estrogen.

Your daughter is probably fine, but better safe than sorry!