Prepping for the 2 hour sensor sessions

whenever i change my sensor (dexcom), i get anxious that my BG might go down during the 2 hour sensor session. i try and wait till i have no IOB and my BGs are stable. also before i put on my new sensor, a huge indulgence is taking a long long shower with bubbles etc, knowing that i won’t mess up my cgm readings. does anyone else experience this kind of anxiety prepping for their sensor change?

please help w/ any suggestions

Nope, I always have the good ole meter I can test with.

the dexcom has spoiled me to no end. thanks for reminding me that my trusted old meter is always right on hand.

No, I don’t get anxious. I just prefer having a functioning sensor in me. :slight_smile: If I thought I was dropping, I’d just check on one of my many meters.

I don’t get anxious, either. Usually I don’t test during that period, but I do if I feel low (obviously). A few weeks ago I took a 24 hour break from the CGM, and I did find myself testing more than I used to before getting the Dexcom, but I still wasn’t anxious (even overnight).

I’ve been using Decom for 2.5 years now and, since insurance has helped, I’ve gotten replacement receivers after the warranty expiration year. The old receivers still work; however, so (thank you @Clare3) I have an old receiver on a different “insertion” date/time than the one I use daily. This way, I have two working receivers that overlap one another during the 2-hour startup time. I suppose I should be (and at times have been) able to deal with the 2-hour “blind” period, but it is comforting to have a working CGM.

I don’t change my sensors until they start giving me inaccurate readings. After a day of getting totally funky sensor readings, I welcome a short break for it. I’m actually going overnight without one tonight so I can shower in the morning before I put a new one on. Today I had sensor readings of 51 when I was 97 and a sensor reading of 123 when I was actually 210! It was like that all day till I finally ripped the thing out.

1 Like

I will toss in an extra test while I wait to make sure I do the calibrations on a number that makes me happy. If I get a bonkers reading, I might do a correction which can make calibration a bit dicier…“ok, the meter says 135 but I have 2.7U IOB so I’ll calibrate at…hmmm…126…” but any errors seem to wash out pretty quickly…

I do this with test strips. Though I have to confess I seldom test more. For me this is two hours, I went 34 years with no CGM, In comparison what is 2 hours? not much.

rick phillips

3 Likes

I don’t get anxious. I do my changes at a time when BG’s should be stable, and always have my meter if in doubt. Nothing to be anxious about.

the funny thing about this is that i have only had my cgm for a year. before that, all i had was my meter. i think i have become jaded and spoiled by the accessability that my sensor gives me. it’s like i have this super-human control over my BGs. before the cgm, i only tested before a meal and 3 hours afterwards. that was it. (of course if i felt kooky, i would double check and test, but otherwise not)

Thas, you are BRILLIANT! I never thought of “overlapping” when it comes time to change my daughter’s Dexcom sensor. This strategy now seems so obvious that I don’t understand why I didn’t think of doing this myself. My daughter is just fine with the 2-hour startup. (She knows I’ll handle the discomfort of not having that CGM reading immediately available.) I don’t exactly panic, but I experience this weird, unpleasant, floaty sort of feeling. Kind of like that guy in the Munch painting “The Scream” but much less intense. Can’t believe how spoiled I’ve become with Dexcom and what a downright hassle it has become to poke and test (except for when it’s time to calibrate)… We’re lucky: my daughter’s Dexcom is extremely accurate pretty early on after sensor changes (and throughout the life of the sensor), so I hardly ever have to nag her to use her meter. I know one is not supposed to rely on Dexcom readings, but when they’ve always been so darned spot on, my attitude is WTF, why not?..

Is your daughter’s BG prone to large, unexpected fluctuations? The reason I ask is that if the 2 hour “blind spot” is done when there is no bolus insulin lurking to potentially drag down the BG then if you start from a known comfortable BG it seems unlikely much is going to change … unless you’ve seen unexpected fluctuations before. :confused:

But i don’t have a daughter !!!. i must have said something confusing or, either, you are responding to a diff reply.

however, i appreciate your info. when i do change my sensor, i do it btw meals w/ as little IOB as possible.

last night my dex went bonkers; reading 44 w/ 2 arrows down, panicky, even though i didn’t feel low, i did a quick finger stick; my BG was 120. i recalibrated , and then i lost my direction arrow. but my BG reading was still there; but it was showing 55, so i did another finger stick, my BG was fine. i tried calibrating again after 15 minutes, and then i got the darn ???. i waited for them to go away for about 1/2 hour. then i gave up in frustration and put on a new sensor. OUCH!!! it really hurt. i don’t know why, but i pulled it right out. so, i called dex support and told them what had happened and they are sending me 2 replacement sensors over-night.

now i have a new one on, and i am in the midst of the session. i am doing frequent finger sticks so i have little anxiety about going low.

what Miss Margie said.

I believe that you are the only person who can estimate how “frequently” to check your BG since only you have a good feel for how quickly your BG may unexpectedly change.

Generally I’ll test at the beginning of the 2 hour window unless I’ve already tested a 1/2 hour or so earlier. I may also test at the 1 hour half-way point. Often I’ll do that mostly out of curiosity. But I tend to definitely do it if I’ve taken a correction bolus earlier.

Of course I always check my BG again at the end of the 2 hour period to calibrate the sensor. :wink:

I’m not sure I see a point to doing it more frequently than that unless your personal experience or preference indicate doing so would be helpful to you.

@Daisy_Mae, if you look on the upper right hand side of the post, you can see who is being replied to. So rgcainmd was replying to Thas, not to you.