Prescription day

Prescription day

Monday is prescription day. I sort my pills for the week, check which ones need refilled, call the pharmacist and get things ready for next week. It seems to be a chore, or a management issue or some kind of ridiculous ground hog movie. It reoccurs every week like clockwork and with about the same cadence.

Get out the weekly pill container, start with AM pills and tackle the noon pill followed by the PM set. Both AM and PM have separate sides of the cabinet in my office. The most difficult thing about pill day is the recognition of what modern pharmacology has brought me. I can count on my 84 mg of aspirin to keep my blood flowing, my cholesterol is in check, my blood pressure is near perfect, the nerves in my feet barely hurt anymore and best of all I pee on que. What more can a man ask for?

Well the truth is I am so sick of taking pills I just about want to retire my position each week I do it. Right now I take 25 pills a day in 16 different prescriptions. Honestly I feel like my grandmother. When I was a child she took a few less pills each day and my parents used to say that pill A was fighting B to produce unexpected result Y. There is no doubt in my mind that this is occurring with my pill regiment in some way.

So how does one get to such a place? Well first you have three chronic diseases. Doctors like to give pills for multiple chronic ailments. Three of them is like hitting the pill bonanza. Second you see 13 doctors at least once annually. Seeing doctors is my hobby and I am pretty good at it. I have figured out how to be slightly early, I know many of the receptionist’s names, and I always try to make my next appointment before I leave the office. Now sometimes I get fouled up a little and that is where knowing the scheduler helps out a lot. When I get these semi upset calls about missing an appointment, if they like you, you can usually squeeze back in somewhere.

I doubt I am much different than most diabetics with regard to the issue of doctors and while my pill count may be higher than most. I am willing to bet that most of us have some kind of collection of doctors, pharmacists and drug stores to contend with. You know what happens when I get upset with the receptionist when I call and am angry? When the next person calls they get awful service. Then undoubtedly, the second called will call and be upset to the next receptionist and before long an office or two or ten end up being grouchy. I think this happens a lot on Wednesday so I call on Monday and Fridays if I can.

My point of this little essay is that this diabetes thing is very tough. We involve a circle (usually ever growing) of pills, doctors, medicine, schedulers and pharmacists. But the thing is no matter how upsetting all of this is we have to get through it. I mean what choice do we have really? All we can do in reality is duck our heads and move forward. After all going forward beats the alternative by a lot.

-30-

Rick

Thinking of you & wishing you a wonderful day <3 ![|500x351](upload://57UEhkY465zohgY3unsOlw7Yf4P.png)

Oh yes,s Rick, the pill deal really, really gets to me too!! More so now than ever.
I also use
an a.m./p.m box and sort mine on Sunday night. (I also clean out my purse and delete my email, LOL).
But, my bp is excellent, thanks to one little pill; my thyroid function is normal, thanks to one little pill; my blood lipids are in good range thanks to one little pill; my fragile kidneys produce enough urine to keep my fluid balance regulated, thanks to 3 little pills; and I get the sleep that is so essential to feeling well thanks to one little pill.
The biggest annoyance is that I have to take 12 potassium tablets and 2 iron tablets, spaced throughout the day, so I carry them with me in my little purple pillbox.
Modern pharmacology is a miraculous blessing for all of us.