‘Previously Healthy’ nominated for best writing (editorial) in the 23rd annual Webby Awards

San Carlos, CA, April 4, 2019 — Global Diabetes Nonprofit Beyond Type 1 announced today that Previously Healthy has been nominated for Best Writing (Editorial): Websites in the 23rd Annual Webby Awards. Other nominees in the category include work from BBC Future , The Guardian , The New Yorker , and The Intercept .

Written by Michelle Boise, Previously Healthy is a longform, multimedia piece of journalism from Beyond Type 1 that examines the preventable death of Reegan Oxendine caused by a missed diagnosis of Type 1 diabetes.

Boise said, “This was a difficult story to tell, but an important one. We knew from hearing community stories that many people were sick at diagnosis or had lost loved ones to diabetes. We didn’t just want to share the warning signs … We wanted to also share the human story, what it meant to an entire community to lose this little girl and how they bonded together to invoke change.”

Previously Healthy is the result of days of interviews, over 500 pages of medical records, and more than a year of research. Told through text, video, and photos, this piece represents a unique and novel approach to awareness through storytelling by a nonprofit organization. Explore the story at previouslyhealthy.org.

“Nominees like Previously Healthy are setting the standard for innovation and creativity on the Internet,” said Claire Graves, Executive Director of The Webby Awards. “It is an incredible achievement to be selected among the best from the 13,000 entries we received this year.”

As a nominee, Previously Healthy is also eligible to win a Webby People’s Voice Award, which is voted online by fans across the globe. From now until April 18th, Previously Healthy fans can cast their votes at vote.webbyawards.com. Winners will be announced on Tuesday, April 23, 2019, and honored at a star-studded ceremony on Monday, May 13, 2019, at Cipriani on Wall Street in New York City.

About Beyond Type 1

Beyond Type 1 is a nonprofit organization changing what it means to live with diabetes. Through platforms, programs, resources, and grants, Beyond Type 1 is uniting the global diabetes community and providing solutions to improve lives today. Founded in 2015 with a focus on education, advocacy and the path to a cure for Type 1 diabetes, Beyond Type 1 has grown to also include programs for those with Type 2 diabetes. A new model of philanthropy, Beyond Type 1 aims to change what it means to live with chronic illness.

About The Webby Awards:

Hailed as the “Internet’s highest honor” by The New York Times, The Webby Awards is the leading international awards organization honoring excellence on the Internet, including Websites, Video, Advertising, Media & PR, Apps, Mobile, and Voice, Social, Podcasts, and Games. Established in 1996, this year’s Webby Awards received nearly 13,000 entries from all 50 states and 70 countries worldwide this year. The Webby Awards is presented by the International Academy of Digital Arts and Sciences (IADAS). Sponsors and Partners of The Webby Awards include: YouTube, WP Engine, EY, YouGov, Vitamin T, WNYC Studios, Fast Company, ESA, Product Hunt, and Social Media Week.

1 Like

The stories of youth that died because they were not diagnosed properly are always heartbreaking.

In my hometown, a high school athlete died of DKA when he was unable to get a timely diabetes diagnosis despite having (in retrospect) all the DKA symptoms. Perhaps being so healthy before onset triggers adults and health care professionals that the kid will bounce back from a temporary illness rather than die from a fatal-if-untreated disease? And to further break the heart, the kid’s mom was a nurse who didn’t recognize the symptoms either.

2 Likes

I have seen this production before and also found it gut wrenching and heart breaking. And in this age of social media, this maybe a great way to get the word out there.
There is just no reason for this to happen to anyone. I am so very frustrated that no medical professional at anytime thought to test blood sugar or ketones. On simple blood test on a home meter or a ketone urine strip. I mean, really?!
This is such a easy test and why it is not a standard well baby care test, I will never know. And while this sad story did help make some changes to policies, I do think it is not even close to where it needs to be. So let us all keep pushing our elected officials on these simple health care issues. No family should have to endure anything like this ever again. And no one should ever have to endure the pain and suffering of DKA, when these tests are so simple.

Done !!!

1 Like

Gracias!!!

:wink::grinning: