Problems with a new paradigm 522 pump

I’ve been a diabetic for 50+ years always in good control. Four year ago started pump therapy with a Medtronic MiniMed Paradigm 512. It was great! Last month I upgraded to a 522 and I cannot get my blood glucose numbers in normal range. My a1c’s range from 5.9-6.7. I am currently wearing a loaner 522 and it’s no better. When in desperation I go back to my 512 everything goes right back to normal. All the settings are the same on both pumps. I can’t figure out what’s going on. Can anyone help, or is anyone else having the same problems? Am I crazy? I feel terrible!!!

Duration of insulin? Maybe it is set differently on your 522? I am having a hard time thinking of anything that is different other than that. Also, you can set a range of target numbers instead of a fixed point. Those are the two diferences I can think of.

Thanks Michelle. The factory sets the duration at 6 hours and my doctor had me set it for 4. Also the target range is 100-130. My old pump was set for a constant 130. I don’t think I’m getting any basal delivery. At 9am, I had 1 boiled egg and 1/2 an English muffin for breakfast and have had nothing to eat since then ( it’s after 4pm and I’m getting hungry now). At 11am, bg was 224, at 1pm,276, at 2pm, 334! My doctor returned my call at 2:00 pm and he advised me to fill an old reservoir with water and check in 24 hours to see how much collects in a bowl. It’s only been a couple of hours but so far, no water has appeared. Can’t believe I got 2 defective pumps, but I think I did. I’ll keep you posted! Thanks again for responding.

Wow! No basal delivery! Very scary! Let me know what happens.

Michelle, I will keep you posted. Have gone back to old pump and it’s been a busy weekend. Plan to talk to Minimed and doctor tomorrow.

Hi Michelle,

Started on my third pump yesterday. All bg’s are normal! Guess third time’s the charm. Nice chatting with you.

Nancy

Great news! I am happy but still baffled how you had trouble TWICE! Frustrating! Take care.