Problems with Medtronic 670G: ("Beginner's frustration" and reps promising that will eventually go away...)

There’s no reason any website or browser should require the Java plugin. It was simply laziness on Medtronic’s part. Luckily, enough people yelled loud enough that they finally have updated their site so that that plugin is no longer needed.

I’ve been using the 670g in auto mode for 4.5 months now. I find it much better than manual mode, but not nearly as good as it could be. The internal code is buggy but hopefully there will be updates.

I started at the end of August, gave up toward the end of December. About four months. I was actually the first person in my endo’s practice to go on it, so they were very interested and attentive, and I wanted to do it by the book, be patient and give it my best shot. But I guess it just doesn’t work as well for some as for others.

Sounds like you might have been a bit of a test subject! I feel like that sometimes. I Hope what you’re using now is working great for you. :blue_heart:

Thanks @Elyssia_Reedy. I basically gave up and went back to what I was using before, namely my old out-of-warranty pager-style Paradigm and Dexcom G5. Works fine for me. I posted about it here: Mothballing my 670G

Just wanted to say BRAVO on stating the issues with this pump. I have been on it for 4 months and I hate this pump with all my heart. NP has made changes which helps for a while and then it seems to have a mind of it own and goes haywire. I spend the rest of the day at it mercy trying to correct highs and lows. Looks like I have to give up my life to it and not a bit happy about it. I have been a diabetic for over 50 years and been on the pump for over 18 years and have a good idea on how to handle situations properly. Now I am at a loss. I finally took it off Auto mode today after spending 2 hours on the phone with Medtronics.
Thank you so much for sharing. L

Really sorry you had such a hard time with it (too). There are people who say it’s a life-changer in a good way. Hard to say exactly what the dividing line is, but it seems like people with a lot of experience—and success—using a manual pump are more likely to fall on the hate side of the love-hate line. Feels like all the controls you’d normally use to deal with situations are locked away, yet it’s not fulfilling its side of the bargain by taking care of things for you as well as you could on your own. I know how to fix this, how come IT doesn’t??? was the experience for me.

literally says it all

SAME. I have been giving 670 and Automode a good long try but I be staying high. And your girl can’t manipulate anything to make the situation better.

It is interesting to compare the experiences of many 670G users with the experiences of the approx. 2000 people worldwide who are using one of the three DIY hybrid closed loop systems. Almost without exception DIY loopers are extremely positive about their systems and continue with them despite the difficulties (and the personal costs) of getting pumps and supplies, the attitude of many HCPS etc…

One difference is that all of the DIY systems require a huge involvement by the user (or parent) that starts with building the system but crucially demands that the user tune and optimize settings such as basal rates, ISF, I:C ratios DIAs etc him or herself. Every user, at whatever stage they started, has to become an “expert” pump user to fully take advantage of the system. 24/7 support via Facebook groups is a huge factor in this educational journey.

DIY systems take control (in the way that autopilot controls a commercial airliner for most of the flight) but do not take away control.

Joel

I think it’s really a marketing thing, not just in the sense of how you advertise and sell the device but who you are targeting as the consumer base. The DIY loopers are a very self-selected group, by necessity and inclination (as suggested by the “We’re not waiting” motto). You have to be very proactive to get that setup running; nobody is pushing you to go there. With such a user base in mind–users who are to varying degrees involved in developing the system, the way open source systems of any kind work–it has far less of a top-down feel to it. It has evolved to provide better control through providing better controls.

But that doesn’t translate so easily to the mass marketing model, where you’re selling to people who don’t want to have to think about all this stuff. The whole selling point is to take that burden away from them, insofar as possible. Kinda like Linux vs Windows or OSX – it’s for people who like messing around under the hood, whereas for most people the less they have to know in order to run their apps, the better they like it. The ideal would be a system you don’t have to be aware of at all. If only we had something like that. Oh wait, we do! It’s called a pancreas!

I agree with Joel’s characterization of the DIY hybrid systems that “take control but do not take away control.”

I agree that as a group, we DIYers are not put off by the level of detail and knowledge required to use these build-it-yourself systems. While these systems are not for everyone, the more advanced tech leaders in this movement have gone to great lengths to be more inclusive than you might imagine. Many people spread well across the spectrum of tech ability have built their own DIY systems. Don’t count yourself out too quickly!

The Facebook group, “Looped,” publishes and maintains step-by-step instructions for building the various systems and just as importantly supplies customized help when the prospective user runs into a snag. It’s not the same as a 1-800 help-line but in many ways is a refreshing sort of help you won’t find with the traditional corporate telephone support. The “pay-it-forward” aesthetic displayed by people who frequent the FB Looped group every day consistently provide competent help in a clear and friendly way.

I think the large corporations like Medtronic should consider designing separate systems aimed at beginners, novices, and more advanced populations. The one-size-fits-all paradigm, I think, ignores the preferences of those of us who have used insulin pumps and CGMs for decades and find the freedom-of-choice built into the DIY systems much more attractive.

what in the world DIY are you guys talking about?

Do It Yourself

hahah I get the acronym. I thought maybe yall were discussing some product I didn’t know about

Oh, right. We’ve been talking about DIY closed-loop pumping systems, or OpenAPS (Artificial Pancreas System). https://openaps.org

There are various “flavors” of the basic system, which requires a compatible pump and a willingness to delve lightly into the Linux command line. @Terry4 is on it, and far more informed about it than I.

:smiley::grinning::smiley::grinning::smiley::grinning:

Sorry for my undefined use of an acronym! I usually catch myself and it’s one of my pet peeves with writing. It makes the writing seem exclusionary, like the reader is not a member of the club. Thanks for reminding me of that bad habit. I think we should all write as if our readers know nothing about our lingo.

I have always been impressed by the Wall Street Journal’s style as always defining an acronym on first use. They never assume that every reader knows what the CPI or consumer price index is. We in the diabetes community can throw around a bunch of diabetes acronyms but should always be mindful of the casual reader.

I recently questioned one writer to define “TTC” in a diabetes/pregnancy post. That stands for, of course, trying to conceive!

Well, except for YDMV. That one goes without saying, doesn’t it? I think it’s covered in the contract somewhere.

Oh ok cool, thanks!

I agree with the first paragraph but take issue with the second. There is a perception (certainly from outside the community) that DIY loopers are mostly tech-y geeks who regard coding and algorithms as fun. In reality what is probably more typical is a 30-something Mum (?Mom) who has taught herself the required skills to build a loop for her T1 kid. Most of us don’t want to mess around under the bonnet (?hood). We want control of the systems that are controlling our diabetes but are not bothered about improving the code and ideally using off-the-shelf hardware. That is why Loop (and in where the pumps are available AndroidAPS) have overtaken OpenAPS in terms of users.

I suspect that for commercial systems, the future is more likely to involve dumb pumps controlled by smart algorithms on a handheld device rather than the all-in-1-box solution of the 670G.

Joel