Problems with Medtronic 670G: ("Beginner's frustration" and reps promising that will eventually go away...)

I asked the tech support analyst “So… this is the equivalent in the computer world where the recommendation for computer problems is to turn it off an on again.”

If this is the recommended fix, then Medtronic are implying that there is an issue but they are not going to address it.

Except I think the newer transmitters are supposed to fix it, but yeah that.

I called Medtronic to talk my rep about the new transmitters. They were busy but promised to call back. That was a few hours ago. Hopefully, I can get an answer.

1 Like

Did you get an answer? Former dexcom user…new to gaurdian…have not had one sensor last 7 days so far

1 Like

Been on the 670G/Guardian Sensor System for a little over a year. All my sensors have lasted 7 days and many up to 14 days after recharging the transmitter. In my case, It is the transmitter that runs out of charge and not the sensor expiring.

Great idea to have pumps for different levels of expertise but that means companies have to get multiple approvals from the FDA. Lots of studies involved and very expensive. One of the reasons I do not like my 670G is the number of steps necessary to get where you want to go. If you have notifications in the way it can take 6 buttons to find out just what the sensor reading is. And the way they put notifications on 2 pages is ridiculous. I used to blame Medtronic but firmly believe it is the FDA requirements for approving the device. You know, make it so safe it’s dangerous.

2 Likes

I don’t think it’s the FDA’s fault that the UI is cumbersome. If that were the case, then the X2 would suffer the same UI issues. Blame Medtronic! On a related note, I DO blame the FDA for first approving the Sof Sensor, then the Enlites. For me, much of the time they were random-number-generators.

1 Like

I was given a link to request a new transmitter. That was weeks ago. Nothing so far. I had a long chat with my endocrinologist who said her other patients were doing well on the 670G and G3. They had improved outcomes but … they were never as tightly controlled as I was. She called Medtronic. A Medtronic diabetes educator called me and we spoke. She admitted that my A1C would be higher with the 670G system in auto-mode and recommended disabling auto-mode. I may talk to my endo about going back to Dexcom. The G6 seems like an amazing bit of kit.

1 Like

I have a hard time believing that you are successfully using a G3 sensor beyond 7 days.

I got notice three plus weeks ago that my replacement G3 was being shipped and given instructions on how to exchange them. So far nothing.

My current sensor has been working for 11 days. It is due to expire for the second 7 days on Monday. If it is still sending good readings, I will try for a third recharge and see how that goes.

Though I’ve since bailed on the 670G, my G3 experience was the same as @Don1942’s. I never mastered the art of recharging the battery without pulling the sensor, but I’d roll over to a second session and just go until the charge ran out. Usually about 10-12 days. There seems to be a lot of variability in how they work for different people.

1 Like

No infections at insertion point?

Never had any, correct.

I am VERY disappointed with the 670! The reasons are common: in 14 months, it NEVER “got to know me”, auto mode is a disaster - not pulling down highs and it keeps me high. I went to Manual Mode and am MUCH better. When this pump warranty expires I am likely to ABANDON this pump.

1 Like

I feel the same about Auto-mode, but not about the 670 system as a whole. From what you write, I am not sure why you’d abandon the pump and its quite good manual mode (and the low-threshold protections it still provides).

Well, if someone wants to use Dexcom sensors, there is no advantage to using the MM pump instead of the X2. At least no compelling reason that comes to my mind.

EDIT: Actually, there IS a compelling reason–when one’s pump breaks and you call for a replacement, but Tandem can’t get it’s act together for far too long, so you end up contacting Medtronic which ships out a loaner pump in 2 HOURS and in a few weeks you get a perfectly acceptable pump, the 670G. Having said that, I’ve no intention of using Auto Mode, or MM sensors. I’m glad that Tandem dropped the ball.

2 Likes

I had the same issue with my Medtronic CGM, both with low results that were not really low and high readings that were sometimes off by 300 or more points from finger sticks. I switched to a DexCom CGM and no the CGM results are much more in line with the finger sticks. I still check if he readings don’t make sense, but I haven’t had some of the wild swings I had before.