Progress

I still haven’t checked my ketones recently, but I think I’m making some progress in other areas. For example, my blood has been over 300 probably 3 times this week, as opposed to 7 days a weeks like I’m (sigh) used to, and I started going to the gym. Three days this week. Do you the last time I went to the gym was 9th grade PE class? Wow…

And I also got my OmniPod demo in the mail today. I’m really excited about that. Next July is the earliest that I can get a new pump, and I’m seriously considering the omnipod. It’s pretty big compared my current infusion sets (obviously) but it’s actually a lot smaller than I was picturing in my head. I can feel it on my back right now, but I’m sure if I got the real deal, I’d get used to that, just like I’m used to clipping my current Minimed on my pocket, etc.

So I’m feeling really good right now about my diabetes. I know I’m not perfect, and I have a loooooong way to go before I’m where I should be. It’s sad to think that every time my blood sugar is under 150, I get so excited like it’s a rare occurrence (it usually is), as opposed to something normal and everyday. And I can’t stress this enough, but if it weren’t for all of you here, I don’t know that I would have the same attitude toward diabetes. Someone else who goes to my school doesn’t take care of themselves at all, and it scares me to think of what their future holds, and what mine would too if I ever went down that path.

Luckily diabetes isn’t about being perfect. I read a quote somewhere that said “diabetes isn’t a game of pervection…it’s a game of averages.” I’ve been where you are when I was younger. I remember those days of making small little steps towards better control and how excited I felt…and how worried that I might not be able to keep it up. And the feelings of guilt and shame when I would slip again. You ARE moving in the right direction! Just keep it up…and when you slip and fall pick yourself up and start again. When your future gets here (and it is always much closer than you think) you will be so glad you did!!! Hang in there!!!

Whoops…scribner’s error. “pervection” in the second line should be “perfection”.