Protein Urine Exam

I’d suggest it. I may have missed it if the answer was already here, but I think the albumin blood test is different from the urine protein test. I looked back through all the responses and couldn’t really tell. I think it is different, but I don’t know for sure.

At the offices I’ve worked in, we always have A1C’s and urine protein tests done every 3 months for diabetics, no exceptions. But I’ve never thought to ask if it was different from what appears in blood tests.

Sorry I can’t be more help.

I did this when I was pregnant many moons ago.

Does anyone have suggestions for someone with protein in their urine? I do have it and I’m feeling concerned, a little scared. Please help, my endo after like it wasn’t a huge deal yet. I need some natural healing remedies if anyone knows of anything.

There are a lot of possible causes. It may or may not be serious. It could be something simple like intense exercise which can increase your albumin: creatinine ratio. Or a urinary tract infection or dehydration.

Get it checked out, but do not do the urine albumin test within 24 hours of intense exercise.

Make sure you are hydrating well.

And if you aren’t already taking an ACE inhibitor like Lisinopril, you should ask about it. It’s a great precaution to help prevent kidney problems.

1 Like

Good stuff Eddie, thanks for the thoughtful advice.

1 Like

I know this is an old thread but one that I was looking to see if others were having any renal complications from their diabetes.

My doc said that urine microalbumin ratio is a good indicator for kidney function and will show kidney damage sooner than a serum ratio.

This can be done with a random spot urine test. Sometimes a follow-up 24 hour urine is done to provide confirmation and maybe more detailed information.