Pump leading to unhealthy food choices

Hi everyone :slight_smile: I’ve been just stalking this website i guess so this will be my first post! My boyfriend of almost a year is a Type 1 diabetic. I’ve learned a lot and try to help out as much as I can but there’s one thing that always frustrates me- his eating habits. In September of 2008 he started using an Omnipod insulin pump. Ever since it seems like he doesn’t care what he eats or when he eats. His car is full of soda bottles, candy wrappers, and a lot of the time I find him eating fast food and picking the more unhealthy things. He skips meals a lot because he says he can. I know this will affect his health in the long run but what I’m asking is if there are any other effects from having diabetes and eating unhealthy. He usually has pretty good blood sugars but it feels like his eating habits are going to cause damage somehow. Anyone got ideas to help him eating better (it’s hard because he is a very picky eater) and any informaton about this? Thanks :slight_smile:

Dear Kimmy.

Beyond the problem of not eating nutritious food, there is the problem that He may end up weighting 500 lb if he is consuming tons of carbs and on insulin. Young people feel righteously immortal so sometimes it is hard to make them listen. A low carb diet would be best, heavy on veggies.

Yeah, it’s hard to get him to try new foods though. When we’re out and his sugar low it always seems easiest for him to grab a soda instead of maybe juice or something healthier. As for veggies he hates just about every one haha. I’m going to try talking to him and helping him make this change. Thanks.

I have been a Type 1 for 42 years and did not start making healthy food choices until about 4-5 years ago, so I don’t really think it relates to being diabetic, if that makes sense. I have been pumping for 6 years and enjoy the fact that I can skip a meal after 36 years of shots and always having to eat on a schedule.

With diabetes less is best. I always feel better when my meals are low carb and I can use less insulin. The fluctuations between high and low bloodsugars is what makes me feel miserable, so when the carbs are low I obtain normal bloodsugars faster and for a longer period of time. I think when you are a young diabetic your body can take it more, the fluctuations and not feeling right, but as you age with diabetes your body rebels against not normal bloodsugars.

Healthy eating is the best for anyone, diabetic or not. If he could stay healthy during the week and let lose on weekends only that would be a step in the right direction.

Dear Kimmy.

You will have to drag out the big guns. A soda is not food and could cause a see saw in blood sugar.

Give him time. If he just got on the pump in Sept. of 2008, he is still getting used to it. It truly is a new freedom that he probably has not felt for some time. I did the exact same thing, then I remembered several months, close to a year, later that I was destroying my body. Give him a little time to enjoy his new found freedom before you try to get him back on track. He just might surprise you and do it himself.

Thanks everyone, I hope he gets it together soon :slight_smile:

maybe it’s time for some tough love. I know i enjoy eating with my boyfriend, but if he’s not going to eat healthy like i am then we eat two separate meals. Maybe you could talk to him about why he eats so badly, and ask him what his doc would want him to do. Because the three main building blocks of diabetes is: exercise, medicine, and eating right. Make him reexplain diabetes to you in his own words and ask him to describe what he considers a good diabetic.We all know people abuse their bodies with stress, over eating, etc but diabetic is suppose to listen to his body. Maybe point out when he doesn’t feel good after eating something. Tell him you’re worried and that you want to start doing more healthy habits with him for the both of you (not because he’s diabetic). I know he has to love spaghetti! Try throwing some veggies in the blender and sneak it in the sauce!!

I also think he’s enjoying his freedom on the pump, but if he continues he will of course run into health problems, which will make his diabetes harder to control. Some veggies are not nice cooked, has he tried salad foods or raw veg.